Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great story. I have won several shoot-offs over the years when I could still shoot trap and all of them were with real ladies and gentlemen. What I remember the most is that I had a stomach full of butterflies,and sweaty hands through the entire events. When they were done and I got the trinkets I have never felt so proud and high. Trap is sure a wonderful game and the shooters are top quality people.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
I tied a gentleman for B class doubles last Sunday.
Shoot off- I started on post 2, he started on 4. I missed the second target on post 3 and he missed one on 5.
He missed a pair on two, and I knew that if I could clear post 5 I had it---I did Score 19/17
I carried a high rib Kolar with all the adjustments, Wenig fitted stock, Rad Reducer, release pull triggers, screw in chokes, and purpose loaded for doubles shells. All the advantages I could find.
He carries a plain field stocked, fixed rib, fixed choke, REMINGTON WING MASTER pump--with. I guess Walmart shelf shells--and the 17 targets he shot simply dissapeared!
When it was over, he walked over shook my hand and said congratulations and it was fun shooting with you.
He didn't say--If I had a better doubles gun--If I had more appropriate choke selection---If I could adjust anything--better shells--and for sure, If we had swapped guns and gone again, it would have been different---NO---He just smiles and congratulated me
I took the trophy but in my estimation he won a bigger one--RESPECT--- from me (for sure) and the few people who were watching. He exemplifies what our sport SHOULD be about. We should all follow his lead.
CLASS ACT!!
Jim
Pure class! I tied with a young phenom at our provincial shoot, which seemed to annoy him. I murdered 25 straight in the shootoff to his 23....which really pissed him off. No handshake or congrats from him afterward....oh well.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Good Sportsmanship on both of your parts. As it should be.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I was in a shoot off at a vintage gun skeet shoot, with a young man shooting a 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster. He won the shoot off, but I offered to buy his gun, and he sold it to me, so I guess we both won. :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The value I attach to winning is directly proportional to the honesty, integrity and sportsmanship of the people I've competed against.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts