Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I should add a Remington 870 Wingmaster to my collection, that really is a good looking shotgun.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Those of us that have shot registered doubles with a pump know what we're up against, and still we decided to go out there and have fun anyway. I've used two different Model 12s for doubles, with mediocre results. Doubles with a pump gun, especially a Model 12, in my opinion, is the most fun you can have on a trap field and still be within the rules.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Jim, you are a gentleman for just having posted the scenario. To be candid, it’s not the arrow but the indian. Congrats on the win and the circumstances surrounding the win. I’ve been on the winning side where no one has even extended a hand but has said who the hell is this guy. Glad I was taught sportsmanship as a young man. Good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
715 Posts
Jim, it's the shooter not the shotty. He made it to the shoot off same as you, he had every chance to win same as you, and I'm sure he was wishing he'd broken just ONE MORE target same as you (may he would have with an IC choke... LMAO sorry, had to go there). You won the shoot off, and had you lost, it sounds like you still won a new friend - so..... in my book you won twice. That's a good day.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I bet the guy you shot with is one hell of a natural instinct bird killing machine. Good luck to all in this sport. Just got to be hungry fer da target

·
Registered
748 Posts
Since when is an 870 a slacker? Sure, it’s no custom fit Kolar but from everything I’ve ever seen the Wingmaster has a stout following for a reason. When they come up for sale here they’re gone in a day or so. It’s because they’re affordable of course but so are CZ’s. You don’t see them selling like hot cakes. Plus, there’s been more 870’s produced than any other shotgun. I wouldn’t feel so bad. Maybe he left his Kolar in the safe because he can’t shoot it.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
You won the shootoff so congratulations! I once won a shootoff in handicap with a 22 to his 21 so I know how you feel but you still won!

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
I simply see two gentlemen in this shoot off.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
There was this guy who lived in Ligoner PA who shot a Remington 870 and he might have shot just as well. His name was Rudy Etchen. Oh, yeah! Don't forget Frank Little, of Dillsburg, PA, he also shot an 870 and won a few shootoofs.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I had one guy that wouldn't shake .
We were under the lights ,on adjacent fields at the silver dollar.
He was long yardage I was short.
I could here his scorer calling lost alot.
When we were done he didn't shake
He was gone in the blink of an eye.
I guess the fact that I remember it means he made an impression.
How to look like a butt.
Henry

·
Registered
38 Posts
My teenage son scores for leagues, and he gets his share of really cool guys who want to foster his desire in the sport and others who will argue a "miss" with a young boy that doesn't wear or need glasses. My kid will ask for a second opinion if he is not 100% sure and the shooter is not being a jerk. Otherwise, the shooter can get into his truck and leave. Most folks are friendly and reasonable, but there are a few others that probably also scream at their kids' soccer coaches. Sportsmanship should come second only to range safety.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Jim- you won the shoot off fair and square and congrats.

But dang.....most of the bigger shoots I've gone to B class would shoot off with a 95+/-. I seriously doubt most of the posters here could break that score with an 870. You beat a hell of a shooter.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I tied a gentleman for B class doubles last Sunday.
Shoot off- I started on post 2, he started on 4. I missed the second target on post 3 and he missed one on 5.
He missed a pair on two, and I knew that if I could clear post 5 I had it---I did Score 19/17
I carried a high rib Kolar with all the adjustments, Wenig fitted stock, Rad Reducer, release pull triggers, screw in chokes, and purpose loaded for doubles shells. All the advantages I could find.
He carries a plain field stocked, fixed rib, fixed choke, REMINGTON WING MASTER pump--with. I guess Walmart shelf shells--and the 17 targets he shot simply dissapeared!
When it was over, he walked over shook my hand and said congratulations and it was fun shooting with you.
He didn't say--If I had a better doubles gun--If I had more appropriate choke selection---If I could adjust anything--better shells--and for sure, If we had swapped guns and gone again, it would have been different---NO---He just smiles and congratulated me
I took the trophy but in my estimation he won a bigger one--RESPECT--- from me (for sure) and the few people who were watching. He exemplifies what our sport SHOULD be about. We should all follow his lead.
CLASS ACT!!
Jim
Jim, you’re a good man and I’ve always enjoyed conversing with you. There were two true sportsmen on that field Sunday.

·
Registered
342 Posts
When i first started shoot an older fella told me " If you shoot well some one will be there to shake your hand , and if you don't find some one who did and shake theirs." I always thought to be very good advice. I am as competitive as they come and mainly competeing with myself. But, I have always tried to be a good sport on the trapfield. Sean

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Resounding YES!! If the situation was reversed, I would have met him with a smile and handshake.

All my shooting career I have held that when I go to a field, I shoot to win. I have a long time shooting bud who says "I don't shoot against anybody..just MY averages" I call B.S. on him! I shoot to WIN ---And in the same breath, I hold and DO tell everyone that if you win--NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCE--- I will meet you with a smile and hand shake and an HONEST congratulation.
Always Have, Always Will!
Jim
The calling BS on beating my average almost works. But the only person that I worry about is me. I have counted birds and won and I have counted birds and lost. Do I know when I am at or over average no doubt about it yes. If I at that point I can stay in focus then I bring it home. But beating my average puts me in an "I Beat myself place!" Which is a kind of happy place to be! Win lose or another draw beating myself as in beating my average makes my smile bigger and my handshake firmer, especially when I have become the last loser. I was there to have fun and I am getting back out there to have fun! The results in no way hurt the fun! It is being there! That counts!

Al

By the way congrats on the win!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
It’s not the bow it’s the Indian...you won it and deserve it...enjoy it...I’m sure a lot of model 12 shooters don’t Worry about the other guy...unless he’s another model 12 shooter!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mr. Porter I greatly respect your post. Your sportsmanship and character are to be admired. I have been fortunate enough to have been in numerous shoot offs and broken more targets than my opponents and be declared the winner. I don't recall ever beating anyone, only beating the target.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts