Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tied a gentleman for B class doubles last Sunday.
Shoot off- I started on post 2, he started on 4. I missed the second target on post 3 and he missed one on 5.
He missed a pair on two, and I knew that if I could clear post 5 I had it---I did Score 19/17
I carried a high rib Kolar with all the adjustments, Wenig fitted stock, Rad Reducer, release pull triggers, screw in chokes, and purpose loaded for doubles shells. All the advantages I could find.
He carries a plain field stocked, fixed rib, fixed choke, REMINGTON WING MASTER pump--with. I guess Walmart shelf shells--and the 17 targets he shot simply dissapeared!
When it was over, he walked over shook my hand and said congratulations and it was fun shooting with you.
He didn't say--If I had a better doubles gun--If I had more appropriate choke selection---If I could adjust anything--better shells--and for sure, If we had swapped guns and gone again, it would have been different---NO---He just smiles and congratulated me
I took the trophy but in my estimation he won a bigger one--RESPECT--- from me (for sure) and the few people who were watching. He exemplifies what our sport SHOULD be about. We should all follow his lead.
CLASS ACT!!
Jim

·
Registered
313 Posts
Best shootoff I was ever a part of was a singles shoot off, we left our gun at the station we moved to. We all had pull triggers and all were RH shooters. We had a Krieghoff, couple of silver seitz, and old Perazzi, and a Browning. No one could hit the targets with my gun so I won, but was the most fun shoot off not to mention the most "fair" in regards to talent only. Wish all shoot offs were this way, would even the field rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Jim, one word in the first sentence of your post sums it up. "Gentleman". Yeah, he was a gentleman... win, lose or draw. There are plenty of ladies and gentleman out there that are gracious winner or losers. Maybe that comes to a surprise to you, but I find that kinda sad.

You both got to the shootout through ability... and "all the advantages" you could muster. Accept your win as graciously as he accepted his loss.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Was any of the equipment you were using illegal?

Did you break more targets than he did?

Then you won. And you deserved to win.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
There is an old saying in shooting. "Beware the guy who only has one gun, he just might know how to use it!" While I don't know if it is his only gun, it was the gun he chose to shoot in that match. He obviously was not disadvantaged in anyway because he earned the right to shoot off for class champion.

Sounds to me like the shootoff was between two gentlemen who know what the spirit of the game is all about. Congratulations to both of you!

·
Keystone Shooter
2,005 Posts
Congratulations on your win! I had my first shoot off a couple of months ago and won. My opponent was a true gentleman also. Shook my hand and said Congratulations it was a pleasure Shooting with you. I thanked him for being a true gentleman and my wife took a picture Of us standing together on the range. Did you deserve it? Absolutely! You shot against a great competitor and won.
congratulations again.
Chief

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Resounding YES!! If the situation was reversed, I would have met him with a smile and handshake.

All my shooting career I have held that when I go to a field, I shoot to win. I have a long time shooting bud who says "I don't shoot against anybody..just MY averages" I call B.S. on him! I shoot to WIN ---And in the same breath, I hold and DO tell everyone that if you win--NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCE--- I will meet you with a smile and hand shake and an HONEST congratulation.
Always Have, Always Will!
Jim

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am just being a smart butt and poking a little fun at Mr. Porter from a previous thread. Were you shooting doubles from the 27 yd. line with imp. cyl. choke.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
And in the same breath, I hold and DO tell everyone that if you win--NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCE--- I will meet you with a smile and hand shake and an HONEST congratulation.
That's the spirit.

A wise man named Neil Winston once told me, "It's a game. Some people forget that."

Reactions: TC

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
You beat a guy who was shooting the #1 selling shotgun in America, so no reason to feel bad!!

Congrats to both of you for showing great sportsmanship to others!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts