Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish Cabelas would close their store in my state! It is too far away to be of any use to me, but it means I have to pay state sales tax on mail orders.

Cabelas had Estates on sale for $49.99 and free shipping. Okay, they were 7.5s and I had a slight preference for 8s, and they are faster (more recoil) than I prefer, but I had $10 in Cabelas bucks I could use. I felt it wasn't worth the savings in sales tax to drive to the Cabelas in a tax free state so I bought them....and paid the sales tax. Hey, the Cabelas Bucks paid for the sales tax and a bit more.

Darn! This morning I find Academy has the same shells in #8s at the same price, with free shipping, and no sales tax. Darn, I could have saved my Cabelas Bucks for the next time I was near the Cabelas in the tax free state.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I have thee same problem. Cabela's store is 300+ miles from me, Bass Pro is 20 miles, and Academy is 3 miles away. Our sales tax is 9.5%.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
i go to cabelas and bass pro to see what prices NOT TO PAY.
I wish that were the case in NJ but the Cabellas just minutes over the bridge in Delaware has better prices on almost everything compared to the brick and mortar stores in NJ plus has no sales tax. They have a much broader selection of products compared to any local store and is the cheapest way to get most long guns. NJ residents can't purchase a pistol out of state (must FFL) but can guns, rifles and ammo.

There is only one store local to me to purchase reloading supplies that has better prices on powder than Cabellas and that store also happens to be in DE. They will have 8lb Promo powder for $135 and others slightly higher (not great but decent prices). Wads at $12 a bag, W209 primers at $36 and lead at $45 a bag. Cabellas is cheaper on everything but the powder since it's hardly ever in stock on bulk sizes.

Cabella's seem to be the only place around my parts in south Jersey that is ever recommended at the trap ranges. You can usually find one or two good used guns for sale at decent prices. EDIT: No additional warranty, but a guarantee it will fire. I'd have no problem myself recommending anyone go there to make a purchase.

Cabellas is sort of like a super Walmart of gun stores. :) With that said I wouldn't recommend going there for "expert" advice or to gain knowledge. They however usually have a decent selection at fair prices.

I also have a Bass Pro Shop 35 miles in the opposite direction in NJ (near Atlantic City) but I've never stepped foot inside it yet.

For those that don't know, Cabellas will take 5% off (on top of discount coupons) for everything if you are a vet and ID which is a nice plus in my book.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Can't ship firearms or BB/pellet guns to NJ either. These are considered "firearms" in NJ. Must go through an FFL. Any pistol (BB/pellet included) requires a separate pistol permit and you can only get one every 30 days. You can purchase ammo "over the counter" except for any ammo that could be fired from a pistol. Then you need to have a firearms ID card. So in NJ you can't walk into a store and purchase 22 Long Rifle bullets unless you have a firearms ID card. You can forget about any type of carry unless you are a X LEO.

NJ isn't as bad as some states but we are up there in "stupid"... It would probably be worse, but Chris Christie has put the VETO on a few bills the last few years. The democratic legislature in NJ is anti gun crazy to say the least. While I'm not a fan of his by any means, he has given NJ 2nd amendment folks some hope with some of the reasonable things he has done or is trying to to firearms wise.

But with that said there are still probably 45 other states it would be better to live in if you take the 2nd amendment seriously. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts