Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of my dear friends are both named Al. One is 86, the other is 91. Today, I shot early in the day with the elder Al, and we went to lunch. Al Lester just got a K20 20 and 28 from Double Guns, and he broke it in with the 28. He shot about a 100 rounds, the first he had shot in almost a year. We had a ball.

After lunch, I had a few shells left, thought I would run them out, so I went back to the club. The junior Al pulled up, and we shot six stations together, until I ran out of ammo. When I left, Al Churcher was at another station, banging away.

Really a most wonderful day. I had fallen at the house last week and was pretty stiff. This was the first time I had shot in a week or so, so it was good to get out. Nothing broken, just bruised and sore. Getting old and clumsy is no fun. LOL

·
Registered
185 Posts
Getting out in the sunshine cures a lot of aches and pains. Was a beautiful day in middle tn. I even patterned an o/u that I hadn't shot in three years 24/25 so getting close to where I'm looking.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was up when they hit. I heard one go over the house (they DO sound like a freight train), been there before. Missed us. A mile or so down the road, it hit. Tore up a bunch of stuff, wrecked a lot of homes and businesses, knocked down power lines. A really major hit. Lost a lot of folks, over 20. Our power did not even go out. We were very lucky, were in the loving arms of the Lord.

Some areas looked like they had been shelled by heavy artillery, except for no craters.

·
Banned
16,304 Posts
Great to hear you and your pals are out
shooting. Enjoying yourselves with the shotguns.
My dad is eighty three and he still gets out to shoot his Kolar. But not as much due to rheumatoid arthritis. This time of the year when it’s so damp
makes it rough.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Great story. Good to hear about folks enjoying the comraderie of the sport.

Keep shooting !

Jerry

·
Registered
316 Posts
Two of my dear friends are both named Al. One is 86, the other is 91. Today, I shot early in the day with the elder Al, and we went to lunch. Al Lester just got a K20 20 and 28 from Double Guns, and he broke it in with the 28. He shot about a 100 rounds, the first he had shot in almost a year. We had a ball.

After lunch, I had a few shells left, thought I would run them out, so I went back to the club. The junior Al pulled up, and we shot six stations together, until I ran out of ammo. When I left, Al Churcher was at another station, banging away.

Really a most wonderful day. I had fallen at the house last week and was pretty stiff. This was the first time I had shot in a week or so, so it was good to get out. Nothing broken, just bruised and sore. Getting old and clumsy is no fun. LOL
Great story and any day to be able to be up and about
is a blessed day, for far too many cannot do so.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful day - always good to spend time with friends.

Glad to hear you were OK. My son went to college with a young man that may actually be from the same town as you. They lived in the same house in Syracuse, NY. Philip (unfortunately I cannot recall last name - plans to go into the seminary), probably 22 or 23. Anyways, my son spoke with him the other day, Phil indicated a tornado just missed his house but destroyed a number of homes just a block away.

Very sad - praying for all those killed, hurt and those that lost so much..

·
Registered
435 Posts

Great story. I am really aware of footing and falling. Having a couple of new hips a few years ago my attention span factor has gone down as I don't have the constant pain as a reminder. Just had my vascular system upgraded from the belly button down has also been a godsend. Falls are deadly when you get older. Be careful out there.

·
Vendor
836 Posts
I shot with an 87 year old shooter at last year’s MO State Shoot. He ran a 25 on the last box. It was a blast and remember thinking - Lord, help me to be nimble when I’m 87!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts