Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
Perazzi TM1 (Ithaca) Fixed Full with Stock Lock and a Bowen Release.
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ponied up for three rounds and I don't think I ever broke more than 10 or 12 of 50. I was using my Connecticut SxS that I normally shoot well at 16 yards. Maybe I should have used a different gun?

My main trap gun has been my Model 12 and I'm wondering what other shooters think about using a pump gun for doubles. In my mind, one of the reasons I sucked so badly with the SxS might have been being anxious and rushing the shots.

Of course, I won't know until I try it and find out for myself, BUT does anyone have experience using a pump gun for doubles?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I believe Rudy Etchen used a pump for everything many years ago, but Rudy was just great at breaking clays. Your sXs depends on how the barrels are choked. You want a fairly open choke for your first shot and get it right out of the house. Your second shot take your time, its just like shooting singles, just don't swing past the bird and try to come back. I used a ShotKam and found most of my misses were going right past the bird and trying to get back to it, didn't work. If you are right handed, until you get used to shooting doubles, try to start on post 4, that way, you see your first bird several times and you shoot left, left, then on 1,2,&3 right, right, right. I sucked when I started doubles a few years back and improve regularly. What has helped me, is one of our local clubs does a doubles league during the summer as we normally don't get to shoot many doubles. Go have fun!

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
I used to shoot doubles pretty well and consistently too.
Now I have a problem setting the trigger for the second shot at times.
Doesn’t happen all the time but at some point in the round, usually last 20-30 targets I fail to set it, realize that, set it and then miss the second bird.
Happens for several pairs in a row then okay again for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
I haven't used a pump on doubles but Scott Chappell and tcr1146 are forum members who use M12's and the are both Class A shooters. Don't give up on doubles. You just need to shoot a lot of them.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I tried a friends Mossberg once at some doubles targets. Now mind you, these weren’t regulation targets. The gun was NOT a trap gun. It was just some fun plinking type stuff.

Ya know how they always say “It’s the Indian, not the arrow”? Well doubles is one place this may not apply. The action was so sloppy and clunky on that POS, you couldn’t rack it fast enough to get on the next target AND keep your head in the gun. That may not apply to your situation, so it’ll come down to lots of practice.

Lots of practice and lots of dollars.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
My first doubles rounds were a disaster. I hit maybe 15 of the first targets and about 3 of the second. I used my Browning Cynergy CX which I shoot fairly well in singles. In retrospect, I was overthinking it- an issue I fight in all disciplines.

Then I was able to take a Nora Ross clinic, which included Doubles. She helped me a bunch! We shot a series of right targets only, then left, then put the two together. This allowed me to react without my overthinking problem..

If you had a chance to take a clinic, or at least setup a doubles field for one target at a time, it could well help.

Doubles is a lot of fun and satisfaction after you get the hang of it. Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you should your SxS well at singles you should still be able to break all every first bird. Focus on the straight away and be sure you break it. Speed up the first shot as you get more practice.
Thanks.
Sounds like a plan - starting tomorrow, Saturday.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
One of my first state shoots, a gentleman walked out to our squad carrying a Remington pump shotgun.

I thought to my self, what's he going to with that old gun.

Well, he proceeded to break 97 birds that day and won the out of state trophy.

I learned a lesson that day. Never, ever question what anyone shoots.

Never ever draw conclusions, cause you may be wrong.

I also learned the man's name was Vic Reinders and that he was a hell of a shot.

Hauxfan!

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike Jordan uses a 870 stocked by wenig. Shoots a release and a few years ago at linn creek he ran 100 doubles with it. I shoot with him quite a bit and you wouldn't know it was a 870 if you weren't watching him pump it. Pretty slick!
Hold on!
He shoots a pump with a release trigger?
That means he;
  1. sets the trigger
  2. calls for the target
  3. releases the trigger to shoot number 1
  4. pumps the 870
  5. sets the trigger
  6. releases the trigger to shoot number 2
That has to take a ton of practice, but it's encouraging to think it might be possible. I didn't mention that Model 12 and 870 have release triggers. If someone is doing it I must conclude I can learn to do it as well. Thank you, jk80 for the post.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I ponied up for three rounds and I don't think I ever broke more than 10 or 12 of 50. I was using my Connecticut SxS that I normally shoot well at 16 yards. Maybe I should have used a different gun?

My main trap gun has been my Model 12 and I'm wondering what other shooters think about using a pump gun for doubles. In my mind, one of the reasons I sucked so badly with the SxS might have been being anxious and rushing the shots.

Of course, I won't know until I try it and find out for myself, BUT does anyone have experience using a pump gun for doubles?
What catches my attention is that you shoot singles with that gun but you weren't able to hit all of the first birds with it.
Are you normally shooting 23s and up at singles with the gun?
If so then you probably have an odd hold for the first bird. I would suspect its really low, making you chase the first bird and causing bad results there....then that gives you less time on the second bird AND you've had to make a pretty violent move to get there considering how much you were moving on the first target.

Where do both barrels pattern compared to each other?

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
[/QUOTE Where do both barrels pattern compared to each other?[/QUOTE]

This is really important. My Browning CX and my XT print both barrels essentially on top of each other.

I've heard stories of many other double barrel guns that don't. This would be an extreme handicap, in my view.

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What catches my attention is that you shoot singles with that gun but you weren't able to hit all of the first birds with it.
Are you normally shooting 23s and up at singles with the gun?
If so then you probably have an odd hold for the first bird. I would suspect its really low, making you chase the first bird and causing bad results there....then that gives you less time on the second bird AND you've had to make a pretty violent move to get there considering how much you were moving on the first target.

Where do both barrels pattern compared to each other?
Scores of 23 with that SxS are common.
The barrels hit the same at 35 yards - flat.
The anticipation of the second bird seemed to draw my attention and I felt like there wasn't enough time - even though the other guys were saying things like, "slow down". I had that same problem at skeet.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts