Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we are not yet open to the public, I am hearing we will be allowed to open with group restrictions on May 15 or thereabouts.

Myself and 3 others that are the executive of our gun club got together today to do some spring clean up and check everything out, turned the power and water on, burned some garbage in the incinerator, shuffled around the tables and benches, you know the regular spring stuff, ( and yes we practised social distancing )

Of course we brought along our guns and shot 3 rounds of trap when the chores were done, man it felt good, first shooting since Oct 7 last year, the wind was blowing hard and the targets were dancing but we shot anyway, even shooting in crappy weather is better than not shooting at all, shot 3 x 23's

The score didn't matter just feeling my DT11 unsingle push the shoulder again was a great feeling.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
I know that had to feel good, looking forward to shooting trap when ever it is that we are allowed to do so.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I threw the breakers to turn on our Trap Machine on Friday, after the long winter layoff. I loaded up a few to test the machine function, and also managed a 23.
Our club is not yet free to host events either, but individuals have been using the rifle/pistol range on their own responsibility.
I also went out to fix a couple of broken fence posts on our perimeter fence - fond hope. The sandy soil is frozen like concrete, about 5 inches down.
Two other senior members were out working on Saturday. It feels like a release from house arrest.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,913 Posts
My local club was open for practice Friday. Probably a dozen or so showed up.
In two hours I put 300 rounds down range shooting all three disciplines.
Absolutely my passion and felt great to be behind a regular trap again.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Yea, I can hear y'all . We have one local range ,about 30 Miles from my house more or less open . A member can bring 2 guests , but everytime I go up the wind is blowing strong . It is still fun to smell gun powder . That's in central MD

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sure would like to know which states you are reporting from. When we go back, it will be three man squads at first. You know the drill!

·
Registered
940 Posts
It's good to see that some places are starting to open back up. I've been fortunate that my club never closed. In Arkansas, all the clubs that are public, or run by cities are mostly still closed. I'm hoping to go shoot again Monday or Tuesday if the rain will hold off.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Ventured out with 3 shooting friends on Friday & got in 2 rounds of trap at one of my local clubs (Library [PA] Sportsmen’s). I felt like a woodchuck coming out of hibernation. Had some loads I wanted to try and all went well. My old c.1920 Chas Daly SBT liked the “antique” loads I put together for it (Alcan paper hulls with 18 gr of Clays & Alcan Air Wedges under card & fiber wads & an Alcan “Kwik-Sert” around 1 oz of shot. I know, nothing antique about Clays powder). And I picked up 2 cases of Win AA Xtra-Lite loads over the winter. Wanted to see how they would work in my c.1908 Rem pre-Model 11 Auto Loader. They worked just fine with the recoil rings separated. So - a successful outing all the way around, even with no handshakes and plenty of social distancing, hand washing & hand sanitizer. I’m already looking forward to the next time!

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I was able to hit the club yesterday, and yes, it felt great to get on a real trap field and pull the trigger. My 'down time' gun mounting practice paid off as that was pretty smooth but it took a few birds to knock the rust off of my soft focus and follow through. After that it was all good. Smiles all day as things were feeling closer to normal than they have in a long time. A good gun cleaning and the smell of Hoppe's brought it all together. Hopefully everyone can get back out there soon.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Were you high speed trolling on a down-rigger when you got your Wahoo??? How deep was the water you were fishing in when you got the hit? Inquiring minds need to know. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well we finally got the clearance to officially open the doors, still have to uphold the 15 person gathering limit but what the heck it was nice to open the doors, set out the hand sanitizer, give the place a lysol wipe down and fill the traps, we had 10 regulars show up and we shot 100 rounds each, man it felt good, and the smell of gun powder was like aromatherapy :08:

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Good For You!!! Glad to see others have there shooting clubs opening back up. Enjoy, and stay safe.

PS All my shooting clubs have opened back up, with gov. mandate rules. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
851 Posts
We opened two traps last night for practice. About a dozen shooters showed up. High schoolers shot on Monday night.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts