Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone and thank you for allowing me to post on your informative forum. I live in north east Ohio and I am in need of a basic trap shooting coach. All I am looking for is a somewhat knowledgeable trap shooter who would be willing to help straighten out my game. I am willing to pay, and do not require a certified instructor. I am searching for an AAA, AA, good league shooter, or perhaps just an experienced old timer or college / high school varsity shooter. I need someone who could work with me at the Sportsmen's Shooting Center in Louisville Ohio on the weekends. Thanks in advance and any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks trapwife, Big Ed, Jack.
I have Leo's video as well as others. I have adopted Leo's balanced relaxed stance and it works great for me, as well as some of his other awesome techniques. However, in my opinion, the videos cause problems and create questions. For example: Leo recommends a firm upper fore stock grip, D Lee Braun recommends a lite fore grip, King Hieple recommends a very lite grip closer to the receiver. Also Harrison, Braun, Robertson, and others all recommend different hold points. I feel it would be best if I could find a willing trap coach to watch me shoot and then help me with the adjustments. Of course the problem still is to find that knowledgeable shooter who would be willing to help sort through the plethora of information. I will continue to study Leo's video. But I feel a coach would be the best solution.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You should think about attending a clinic that some of the big time shooters put on. Nora Ross is very good! I believe if you practice what they teach you will get better.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Rob, you are right, Leo RECOMMENDS lots of things, but he states that everyone is different so some things work FOR YOU, other things work for others. It is up to you to "go through the buffet" and pick what works best for you. If you have a question from the video, contact me, I think I have heard all the possible questions and Leo's usual answers, be glad to try and help clear up any confusion.
good luck and good [email protected]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why just any coach? Best bet is with one of the best with hands on experience,Kiner,Harlan ,Marshall comes to mind,these guyz work with small classes,one-on-one experience you won't regret,infact Harlan was one of the best classes I have attended from the ground up,a building process,I suspect his method is much like what Leo preached or so I'm told...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I believe the OP is looking for some continuing support coaching at his local club. I doubt Kiner and those types will want to go out with him every Sunday and travel to his club. I understand where you are coming from. As much as I do agree those clinics are great it would be nice to have a local club "pro" help you along than get into a clinic when possible..
This is a huge advantage and I applaud you for seeking out help as it will NO doubt fast track you and save some dollars in the long run. I would say the best bet would be to look to the clubs BOD and you will find USUALLY one of those guys is a very good AA shooter and would be more than willing to help a member out. If they do not have the talent on the board they will know a member that does. Best of luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am very grateful for the replies and smart ideas. I will talk to the clubs board of directors and senior members. I do believe that at least one of them could point me in the right direction. I will just have to be patient. In time, after I get a better foot hold on my game, I will look into a shooting clinic that is reasonable for me to attend. I might make attending a shooting clinic a goal for next summer. For now I am going to start with what is readily avialable. Thanks Big 50 and all others!

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Rob, you are right, Leo RECOMMENDS lots of things, but he states that everyone is different so some things work FOR YOU, other things work for others. It is up to you to "go through the buffet" and pick what works best for you. If you have a question from the video, contact me, I think I have heard all the possible questions and Leo's usual answers, be glad to try and help clear up any confusion.
good luck and good [email protected]
One thing that was great about having Leo help you in person was his ability to identify each shooters quirks and work them out without the shoot like me banter. I can't comment on all the other clinics as I have never personally witnessed them. Videos are great, but nothing replaces the real thing. Of course nobody knows that more than you. Keep doing what you are doing. It is nice to see you still with the sport. You belong with the shooters.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Do you have a league at your club? If anything see who the top dogs are and maybe talk to one. We have a guy like that at my range. It's nice since he can back up what he says with results. And he US more than happy to look at pattern paper and watch people shoot.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
You need to do whatever's necessary to keep your cheek and eye firmly attached to the same place on the stock throughout the swing.

A loose grip makes that problematic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fromtheplaines
Unfortunately the club I shoot trap at is primarily a skeet and 5 stand facility. I think they have trap team leaques during the week days. However, during the weekends when I am able to shoot there are mostly skeet shooters with only a few practice only trap shooters. Many times the club will have a large turnout but I will be the only trap shooter there. This is an awesome club that has a number of known skeet professionals. Furthermore there 5 stand is suppose to be one of the best in the state of Ohio. I dont think the club attracts serious trap shooters.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Rob, you are on the right track to have someone review your shooting. I am very fortunate to have a couple expert shooter friends who can recognize things I need to look at correcting and have been a great help. The Nora Ross clinic has also helped and reinforced some of the individual instruction in important areas like where to be looking for the bird, movement of gun after seeing where it is going, and ensuring consistent mount of the gun. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
An Update With Great Results!!
First off a big thank you to motordoctor and the Urbandale Gun Range in Madison Ohio.
Last week I was fortunate to get reply's and a private message to my original post of needing a trap shooting coach. As a result I got the honor of meeting motordoctor at Urbandale this past Saturday afternoon to review my overall shooting form and equipment, the results were fantastic. Not only did motordoctor point out several flaws in my shooting rig he broke a number of common myths in the trap shooting game. Without a lot of detail the most significant thing I learned was being able to now see the target %100 of the time from start to finish. I never realized until this past Saturday that one of my biggest problems was getting "beat by the bird". In the past my hold and look points were causing numerous blind spots that allowed the bird to get a jump on my reaction time allowing the target a better chance of escape. Overall I have much to learn and many practice sessions ahead. Ultimately I am happy to have found a knowlegable shooting coach because nothing beats one on one instruction! I may add that at the end of our lesson I was able to break 6 straight from the 27 yard line.
Thank you; motordoctor, Dennis, Urbandale Gun Club, and trapshooters.com!
Best wishes Rob of Akron

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
gee whiz Rob, thanks for saying all those nice things about me. I enjoyed the three and a half hours we spent. You are a great student and I was glad that I was able to help you. We discussed many things, patterned your guns to actually show you where they shoot and talked about gun hold and foot position, and where to look for the target at the trap house. I think one thing was you could not believe what I showed you about chokes and shells. Your gun had a .027 choke and you used 1 ounce shells about 1150 FPS. I made you a believer when you were breaking 27 yard targets with the setup. Not the best break but it does break targets and you had a hard time believing that. You broke the 16 yard targets like never before. Glad I could help and feel free to contact me anytime. Joe Rossman AKA Motordoctor

1 - 18 of 18 Posts