Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over at SGW Sporting Clays forum and it seems the folks over there weren't into hats.

So let's see what ya'll think.

I got my first shooting hat, not to be confused with a hunting hat, from Mike Murphy back in 1995 when I took a "Welcome to Sporting Clays" clinic down in Florida with him and his then partner, Skeet Hall of Famer, Ed Scherer. (RIP Ed) I originally was going to Florida to pick up my brand new Browning Gold from Seminole Guns, which they had "Sporting Clay-ized." (Back then this was a thing.) But could not pass up this nice double. Not only did I get to meet Mike and Ed, get a first taste of Sporting Clays, and receive a great hat, I got vicariously introduced to stock maker extraordinaire, Jim Greenwood, who has since made me two outstanding Browning Gold stocks. Mike's hat lasted me a long time. When I finally realized I needed a new one, these hats had vanished. So, I took as good as care of it as possible, while I looked for a worthy replacement. When I found one, the Murphy hat was lovingly placed in my shooting bag as a trusted back up.

And as luck again would have it, in 2006 I managed to travel up to see Rich Cole in Maine, to see if some Zolis would whisper sweet nothings in my ear. Sadly, none could entice me away from my Browning Golds, did but I get me a new great shooting hat! And of course, a terrific visit with Rich and his team!

But now, my Cole Gun hat is tired. And again, these hats have vanished. So, the hunt is on, yet again. Sigh...

If anyone has either of these hats tossed in a closet, drawer or box and would want to part with such a treasure, please PM me.

Anyone else have a favorite hat story to share?

jcouch

Murphy.jpg Cole.jpg

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I have had sunburned ears way too many times and I tried this hat from Columbia with coverings for my ears and neck. It has sweat activated technology that cools as you sweat while protecting your ears and neck from the sun. Once you get used to it you wouldn't shoot without it. I got mine at Cabela's but the link shows you can get the for 19.99 on there. It's called Coolhead Cachalot.

My Doctor recommended it because if I sunburned my ears much more he would have to start carving on them and they wouldn't look as cool as Spock's Vulcan ears.

Omni-Freeze Zero Cooling Performance Activewear | Columbia Sportswear

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
GrandpasArms, ya better kept a close eye on those. My buddy has lost several of them over the years. Seems like others like them alot as well. Great hat though.

Good Luck with your search Goldguy!!! break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the same Tilley, great hat, a little expensive but guaranteed for life. Even guaranteed for loss for the first three years. It is very comfortable and brim is not too large or small. Great for shooting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts