Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggest...I need input from those that have some time behind a 725 Trap gun with the adjustable comb. I've had plenty of Browning sporting guns, plenty of XT's...but haven't fired a shot thru a 725 Trap.

NO gun with a fixed Monte Carlo allows me to get down far enough to line up with the rib...so Monte Carlo information isn't really going to help much...but join in anyway if you own a 725 Trap ...

Would you buy one again?

Does it shoot flat/high?

What do you like most about it?

Did you buy the 30 or 32 inch?

Do you wish you had bought the other length?

Do you love the high rib? ...hate it?

How's the balance if you have the 30 inch?

Is the 725 Trap heavy/light? (It's supposed to be lighter than XT's) BUT...

Browning's listed weights in their ads are as much as half a pound off MANY times. You can't believe a thing the ads say if you are weight sensitive...and I am.

I have a 725 Trap 30" with the adjustable comb, reserved for the next Thursday shipment to our gun club...I still have time to back up, should I?

I need one for singles and doubles TRAP...(...but Heck I'd shoot it for handicap too, if I could..)I've never owned a 30" TRAP gun ..always a 32". But I discovered I had shorter guns that did the job as well.

Is this your "go to" TRAP gun... even for Handicap...or how does it work best for you???

After looking for 2 days for threads specifically dealing with the 725 TRAP every where on the net (they "all" drift off topic)... I finally decided to start this thread,

We'll talk about the 725 High Rib Sporting when they finally become available... I want one too...lol! But for now let's talk about the Browning 725 Trap Gun, I need "all" the input I can get.

Thanks and best regards...Stan

·
Registered
810 Posts
how about the new choke ?? DS threads at top seal at bottom, i love my XT combo with the hi rib on the over unders

·
Registered
366 Posts
I demoed one at the Cardinal, 32" barrels. I was shooting a 32" XT at the time, and the 725 Trap felt livelier and slimmer in the front hand to me. I can't say if the fore-arm is skinnier than the xt but it felt felt like it was. The gun made a very positive impression on me in the limited time I spent with it.

If I were in the market for an o/u the 725 Trap would be on the short list.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Recently, I was able to pick up and point a 32" xt and a 32" 725 Trap to assess and compare the general fit and feel of each. Both would meet my fit needs. The XT felt slightly heavier at the front.....something I prefer and seem to perform better with during trap shooting. Ralph

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flip...I agree. The XT is a great gun amd I love the rib too...I've had several of them. I expect the 725 to shoot about the same POI...but that's part of what I would like to find out.

Eddie..I didn't know the High Rib sporting was out yet. Have you shot both to compare? If you are referring to the low rib sporting...it isn't even close to a trap gun. However I have shot the 725 Sporting, nice gun ..but not even a consideration for a long neck guy like me....and I would rather have a Superposed than the 725 low rib gun....smoother swing and balance imo., but that's another subject.

Where Browning says the guns shoot varies, depending on who you talk to....and I have talked to some of the guys in Arnold Missouri....they can't seem to tell you. I was hoping to have some first hand owners comparisons. Rather than spec sheet data...which is seldom right.

Ed...thanks for that comparison ..I also was shooting a XT which was great gun...now have a Perazzi. Just not my thing..I'm going back to the Brownings. I'm hoping for a little better balance and quicker swing with the 725. My handling of the 725 display guns gives me that feeling as well..and the high rib felt even better than the XT which "surprised" me. I thought it might be a little too high (more like a like a BT100).

Ralph...thank you for that comparison. I haven't shot the 725...but it did feel lighter in front to me as well. Unfortunately , as much as I like the XT...it's weight out front is why I had to let it go. At my age gun weight is beginning to take a toll. Hence the 30 " barrel and the "supposedly" lighter frame on the 725 I have ordered. Hopefully it won't be an exercise in futility....

Thank you gentlemen..

Anyone else care to comment?

Stan...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ralph...I failed to ask if you noticed a difference in the poi between the XT and 725 you had the opportunity to compare?

Also what yardage were you shooting from...

Thanks..Stan

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flip...I'm sorry I didn't comment on the DS chokes. Of course I have no first hand information...except perhaps a little on the chokes. I have a close friend that shoots a low rib 725 ..."a lot"...at skeet and sporting clays.

I asked him about the chokes...so he proceeds to pull one out for me. the threads were spotless..and he said he hadn't had them out in a couple thousand rounds. That's all I can contribute there ..other than they are much longer ..which seem like a good idea to me. But it may not matter at all. I've had some Invector guns that shot lights out..(not Invector Plus, the shorty Invector) so length is probably not that big of a deal.

Stan

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Stan, I own and shoot a Citori Trap, an XT, and recently bought a 725 Trap. (Sorry, but mine has the Monte Carlo.)

The 725 is definitely lighter, swings faster, and has a slimmer forend. It is a 32" and my others are 30" and they are still heavier than the 725.

The rib is definitely higher. Mine seems to be very close to my BT-100, and I am having trouble getting used to it.

The palm swell is more pronounced that the XT.

My 725 does not pattern quite as high as my 725. I am sure others are different. My 725 is about 60/40 with the lower barrel. I haven't patterned the top one.

I agree that the difference in choke tubes is negligible. I, like you, have invector chokes that are great!

Triggers on the 725 seem to be a bit crisper that either the Citori or the XT. This is just how it feels to me...not scientific at all.

Martinpicker

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Martin..

I assume you meant the 725 does not pattern quite as high as the "XT"?

...and thanks for a "how it feels to you" comparison. That's exactly what I was hoping for...

From the sound of it I might be able to shoot a 32" gun and still have the lighter, quicker characteristics that are instigating my change in guns..

Thanks again..

Best regards..Stan

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Shot with a guy last year that had a 725 Trap. He didn`t care for it. He Traded it for another gun. Not sure what he got but he said he didn`t miss it. He did get an O/U though.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Tom ...what did he shoot prior to the 725 if you know?

Also just curious ...what is your "go to" Trap gun?

Best regards...Stan

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
If I remember he was shooting a Beretta O/U prior to the Browning. No idea what model it was. He shot it pretty good though. If I remember right he sold it after he got the Browning. He should have kept it.

My go to is now a CG Summit Trap topsingle. Love it is an understatement. I`ve shot a lot of different guns over the years but none compare to this CG. To this day I still have many Trap guns but the Summit Trap I shoot now wins hands down. Its that good of a gun.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm...

I must say I'm a little surprised that only "one" person who actually owns one of these guns has posted.

I would have thought that there were quite a few of these guns owned by forum members.

They are still fairly new in the market....but still??

Is their anyone else who owns one...who might have something to contribute?

Best regards...Stan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was looking to complete a combo for my CG Summit or opt for a backup O/U gun. I wasn't please with my SV-10 last year, and wasn't sure what to get. I've had XT's in past and shot them well but the rib is to low for me now compared to the CG. Last weekend after a shoot I went to 2 local shops and wanted to see what they had. I wanted a straight stock to have my stock fitter put his adjustable comb and Gracoil on it. Both places had a 725 in my configuration(no comb, 32"). One place had a Blaser supertrap to somewhat compare rib height to my CG. 725 felt real close. Bought one $250 cheaper at another shop plus a few accessories. Tomorrow I'm taking to have fityed. Haven't shot it yet, but hope to spend some time with it next weekend. Been hearing good things from the guy that does my stock work, so hope its worth the investment.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope it works out well for you..

It sounds like you and I have similar requirements. Flat comb...with a high rib...I just don't know how high will be too high..lol!

I didn't know you could get a straight stock that didn't have Browning's adjustable comb already installed.

Is that what you got ...or did you get a Monte Carlo stock with the intention of installing a adjustable comb?

Thanks...Stan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got the Monte Carlo stock. and having an adjustable comb installed. I measured the ribs from the CG to the 725 and there is about a 3/8" difference, being the CG is higher. There just wasn't anything new in my price range that was close to what I have. Granted, I could have probably found a used higher end gun for a little more money, but I just wanted a new gun, at a good price, and having shot XT's in the past, I knew how those guns kind of handled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts