Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 1968 Superposed over to Sparta yesterday to shoot a few rounds of practice. After around 55 shots, the forearm felt odd, and something fell on my foot. I unloaded, and found the forearm was cracked nose to tail. The plastic end piece broke in half and thats what I felt fall off. Last night, in disgust, I glued the crack using Gorilla Glue. I figured, I had nothing to lose. This morning, I called Midwest Gun Works to order a new end piece. They told me I could have sent them the forearm, and they have an epoxy that works much better. They said if my glue fails they might still be able to do something with it, but getting the Gorilla Glue off might have compounded the problem.

Oh well, Live and Learn.

Todd / Illinois

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
After many years of experience, I can state that we often try to go cheap instead of dealing with professionals. It ends up costing more in the long run. Been there and done that. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Too bad Fajen's not still around. A friend sent his Superposed ST-100 to Briley for the full meal deal to turn it into a sporting gun and they broke the forend. They sent it to Fajen who did a magnificent job of replacing it, matching grain, color and checkering perfectly. I imagine Wenig could do the same. A word to the wise...Superposed forends are VERY thin and fragile off the gun. I took mine apart once...that was sufficient.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My glue job looks passable from over three feet and I hope it holds. I cleaned out the checkering with a single cut checkering tool and went over my cuts with tru oil. I have determined I should not quit my day job and become a stock maker.
It will never be un-noticable, and to be honest it's not the sort of thing you would want to hide. I left the glue line visible on the inside. I was very surprised at just how thin the wood is at the break, 1/4" to 3/8".

regards,

Todd / Illinois

·
Registered
865 Posts
Todd
It's nothing a man riding by on a horse would even notice.

I have a 682 forend that looks much worse but the gun still breaks targets.

It cracked during the 1st hundred of the day and I didn't want to miss the next 2 events so I went to Walmart and bought some crazy glue.

Shawn

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks Ron

But like so many have suggested I should have had it fixed properly.

But there is no sense looking back.

Shawn

·
Registered
158 Posts
You didn't hurt the gun , the value left when it broke a good stock maker can make a new one yours problaly still could be strengthened by a stock maker using a bedding compound , still no one would notice your repair unless it's pointed out . Gary

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shawn,

"Man riding on a horse...", it does help take some of the sting out.

Sounds like something an old cowboy poet from Oologah, Oklahoma might have said.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
No worries, Shawn. I shot doubles with the legendary Zip Eaton at the state shoot at Helena in 1992. The buttstock on his Superposed was intricately wired together (as would befit the work of a jeweller, which Zip was) with copper wire. He liked it that way and in his day was one of the best doubles shooters in the ATA and a Big Dog...so I wouldn't worry about your Beretta.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Calvin,
I had been watching one on GunBroker out of Canada. It was $100 and it should be here in a few days. It has a small chip that I am sure will patch up much better than my last attempt. I have bought from the company before and they are pretty good to deal with.

regards,

Todd

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joe,
I ordered a tube of Hot Stuff. Brownells wanted $16 shipping for a $6 order. I found another supplier on Amazon at $10 including shipping. From the reviews, you can also use it for touching up chips in a gloss finish.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
3 Posts
This just happened to my sons superposed. I notice the original end piece is nylon, and the replacements seem to be anodized aluminum...... What is everyone's opinion of the aluminum?

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
If you used Gorilla glue it will never come apart. Great stuff. Hot Stuff is a cyanoacrylate and totally different. Like Gorilla glue it takes a little moisture to set it off. There are two types: thick and thin. The thick stuff is best for mating two pieces of anything non-porous. The thin stuff works best with porous wood since it will bleed through the wood fibers by capillary action. Balsa is a porous wood. Walnut, not so much. A little baking soda will set off Hot Stuff instantly. It will, however, ruin a gloss finish very quickly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts