Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my problem. I shoot an MX2000 unsingle. & have been shooting reloads with fiochi primers for years. I change my leaf springs yearly. Lately (and it's happening more frequently) that shells aren't firing. On Sunday I had 5 that didn't go off. Everytime I put it back in and call for the next target. Very often the shell fires but this past weekend the five did not. However, I took all shells and put them in my Browning XT AND TRIED THEM IN THE BOTTOM BARREL NONE OF WHICH WENT OFF BUT....... I put them in the top barrel and they all go off the first time. I've gotten everything from firing pins, springs, and hard primers.
Appreciate any and all comments

·
Registered
518 Posts
How about cleaning the channel the firing pin goes thru? A carbon built up can give you the head aches you cite. Also cold weather causes problems at times.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Sounds like the bottom bbl\angled pin problem that affects a lot of guns. Top bbls--pumps--semi autos--etc. (ie straight line) seldom have that problem. Also as you mentioned some primers are harder than others, I had some PMC\Wolf that my SBT (top single) didn't like but worked fine in my pump. Ross Puls

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I was going to tell you to check your firing pin springs till you went to the Browning...

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Shooterman, take a look at the firing pin opening in the breech face. They are normally slightly oval, but become enlarged over time because of the way the firing pin rebounds. This is especially true if you shoot the economy shells with the harder steel primer cover. I have a friend who had the same problem until it was correctly diagnosed (he had many, many rounds through it). He had the holes welded up and redrilled and the problem disappeared.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Years ago I had the same problem with a Beretta undersingle and a Mec
Grabber loading Winchester primers in Gold Medals. I too changed springs and firing pin to no avail. I am not sure how it happened, but some of the primers got set too deep for the firing pin to hit it hard enought to fire. I ended up filing off a small bit of the primer seat and that cured the problem. It doesn't take very much. The next time that it happens, take a straight edge and put it across the bottom of the shell that did not fire. If the primer is set too deep, it will be very apparent. Best of luck because it is a pain when you can't put a finger on the problem.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
That's true Mike, the first strike of the firing pin usually sets the primer and the second will set it off. Have them not fire in another gun usually means to look some where else.

Ajax

·
Registered
474 Posts
The bottom barrel of a XT not firing is not unheard of in a gun with some miles on it. My 2007 XT did the same thing. I replaced the pins with JNP pins. The bottom one is about .030 longer and works great. Use Winchester primers. Anything else is false economy. http://jnpgunsprings.com

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good avenues to look into. I and others have checked depth of primers.
The XT is realitively new but the Perrazi has gone thru 1000's.
I will check the hole and if there is any carbon build up. Thanks guys

·
Registered
685 Posts
hi measure the firing pin with veiner and call whiz white and he will sell you one that is .030 longer. went thru all the other troubleshooting and this is what will solve your problem guaranteed. howard

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I would change primer brand before messing with gun. I have RIO Primers that are very unpredictable, some fire some don't! Went back to Cheddite and have had ZERO problems. Also, three different guns, all with same results. Dennis DeVualt addressed this issue in one of his recent news letters. Jake

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would suspect the primers or the primed seating/relation to the receiver face. I have never used anything but Winchester 209's.....

·
Registered
474 Posts
My 99 and my XT both punch a hole through Cheddites. About 1 out of every 10. Zero problems with W209's.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Are you loading on a PW press? They will seat the primers too deep as well as dish case heads if improperly set. I have seen this several times.Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts