Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in the shooting section because that's what I may have to end up doing. I have a beaver taking huge bites out of about three big sycamores on the creek bank of some property I hunt. I don't have the foggiest idea how to trap one - one of the outdoor activities I've never tried.

Is it possible to set up 100 yards or so off with an accurate center fire and take him (them) out ? I assume they are mostly nocturnal. Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
You better look up the hunting and trapping laws in your state. They might even be protected. If you can hunt or trap them, there is probably a season for them. If they are destroying property some states DNR will come in and move them for you. I will tell you this, beavers are hard to get rid off once they set up camp.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Just put some chicken wire or box wire around the tree or tree's and the problem is taken care of. Just don't rap it tight. Put it loose so the tree can still grow. Have the wire go from the ground and up to about 3 feet. Loosen the wire in time. The beavers will leave the tree alone with the wire. Friends live on the water with beavers and they did just that and the beavers now leave their tree's alone. It will work.

·
Registered
13,585 Posts
Don't know what state your in so I don't know the laws.

Here, if the rodent is causing problems, that classifies them as PEST and can be put out of their misery.

Shot many around half hour to three quarter hour before dusk. Catch them coming out of their dens and when their heads popped up to the surface, POW!

No more problem from that one!!

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
Three S's.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Menards has spray bottles for stopping animals eating your trees, wonder if that would work. I use it on my pine trees to stop deer eating them.

Gary

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
My 25-06 worked wonders a few times when beavers were burrowing into the dam on my farm pond. I don't know if it was legal or not. Guessing not. Still have not shot any river otters who have killed all of my grass carp though. Looks like drought will take care of the rest of the fish this winter unless we have a real mild one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Set up about thirty minutes before dark, you will catch them milling around. Then shoot them and leave them lay. An old timer told me that when you leave a dead one and it starts smelling the others will leave. I tried it and it seemed to work. We fight them all the time plugging ditches.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.