Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4679C791-2169-4874-8865-8BB5EBB36390.jpeg FFD36A37-1018-43B8-9673-3AC6F8791E15.jpeg 55FF6C71-14BE-439A-9F6E-FDEA61B3FDB2.jpeg Trying to rock the plug back-and-forth in order to remove the plug on MEC powder and shot bottles has frustrated me for the last time!

So I did this little mod shown in the pics. Still the same type of tapered plastic plug as the red MEC plug, but this one has pull rings molded as part of the plug.

Now it’s simple to remove and replace the plug, and the bottle can still sit flat on my bench when I’m using bottles of other powder or shot.

The only downside is such plugs are not standard in the size to fit the existing hole in the bottles, so I had to drill out the bottle hole slightly for the new plug.

In all, totally worth the effort!

Good luck, and safe shooting (when we can again).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Where did that plug come from and who made it? Very interesting especially since the Mec red plug is either to tight or sloppy loose.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
There was a simple fix found here a couple years ago. Take an empty shot shell hull and remove the premier. Take the plastic cap and drill a hole in the center of it. Take a machine bolt or screw, a flat washer and a nut. Drop the bolt or screw down inside the hull so the threaded end drops through the primer hull. Push the powder cap onto the bolt or screw and then place the washer and nut on the bottom side of the cap and tighten it up. Now your cap has a handle attached to it for easy removal and replacement.
That doesn't sound simple at all! That blue plug looks simple!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a simple fix found here a couple years ago. Take an empty shot shell hull and remove the premier. Take the plastic cap and drill a hole in the center of it. Take a machine bolt or screw, a flat washer and a nut. Drop the bolt or screw down inside the hull so the threaded end drops through the primer hull. Push the powder cap onto the bolt or screw and then place the washer and nut on the bottom side of the cap and tighten it up. Now your cap has a handle attached to it for easy removal and replacement.
Making a handle for the plug is trivial, and there are many different ways to do that, including what you suggest. My issue was that, because I use different bottles (especially for my reclaim shot versus my new #8 shot), I wanted a plug solution that enabled the bottle to sit flat on my bench (with shot in it) when it wasn't on the press.

Where did that plug come from and who made it? Very interesting especially since the Mec red plug is either to tight or sloppy loose.
I got a bag of them from McMaster Carr, but I searched everywhere for a similar plug that would fit the existing MEC hole, but there were none. This particular design is patented, and I do think made by just one company (no source info on the plug other than patent number and mold cavity number). I decided it was easier to get these plugs and enlarge the hole in the bottle (by about 3/16" total diameter)

·
Registered
31,081 Posts
Making a handle for the plug is trivial, and there are many different ways to do that, including what you suggest. My issue was that, because I use different bottles (especially for my reclaim shot versus my new #8 shot), I wanted a plug solution that enabled the bottle to sit flat on my bench (with shot in it) when it wasn't on the press.

Sorry, I missed that in your OP.

·
Registered
986 Posts
pretty simple...Fender washers...1.25 inch 10-24 bolts...10-24 nuts and an acorn nut

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made a version exactly like that, and also with a 10-32 eyebolt instead of a plain machine screw. Although they fit the bill in almost every way, neither were as easy to remove as I wanted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts