Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting nervous about my supply of 20 gauge powder, and a bit concerned about my supply of 12 gauge powder. So I've bumped up the date a trip that will take me near my regional supplier so I can do early spring shopping this year. I plan on buying either Universal, 20-28, or if necessary Unique for the 20.

If they have ClayDot, Titewad, or Promo I'll get a jug of that too, tho I can likely make it to my fall trip. If I have to wait to fall and supplies are still tight I'll buy anything that works.

I recently crossed paths with 4 pounds of 410 powder, so without much thought I snatched it up while the snatching was good. Going thru my supplies to see what else I may need on this trip I discovered I still had about 3 pounds of Alliant 410, plus the new bottle. A little arithmetic and I discover I have enough to load 4083 shells, 163 boxes, or 16.3 flats of 410s. That sounds like almost 6 years of 410 shooting for me IF I keep shooting 410 at my present rate.

Yeah, I got too much powder. But I am not ready to sell that extra 4 pounds of 410 powder just yet. But, if I get desperate for 20 gauge powder I may have to barter it....locally and face-to-face.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I'm not sure if it is possible to have too much powder. 7 pounds of 410 powder is certainly not in the too much range and most of us would consider that a minimum. If you have a chance to get the 12 gauge target powder get at least 2 of the 8 lb jugs. It doesn't go bad and I doubt prices will ever go down from where they are today.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I think I have a total of around 125-150 lbs of powder if you include all the one pound test shots of various rifle powders I have tried.

But I know a fellow with way more than that. He just happens to like buying large quantities. There have to be guys on here with lifetime supplies for the whole village.

HM

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Just keep in mind there are restrictions on having large quantities of powder in some places. Not to mention your fire department and insurance company may have problems with 150 lbs. of powder in your house.. Just a thought. My insurance company and township do.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
You are gonna have to have a fire first to worry about that issue straightshot. Who in the sam hill is gonna call the FD or insurance company and volunteer that info. I know, ya might not be covered if'n they find out you had it, but some are willing to take the risk and have powder and supplies available. I'm betting that most reloaders are not also meth makers, so the risk is markedly reduced. ha

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Living proof that you can't have too much. I bought 100 lbs of military surplus powder in 1967 for $.50 a pound. Good for stuff like 30-06 through .375. Stuff came in paper bags with a rubber band wrapped around it. Thought it would last FOR EVER. I put it in quart jars and painted them black to stop sun problems. Used the last a year or so ago. I really liked loading $.50 a pound powder! It AIN"T gonna' get cheeper!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm the guy that HAD the fire. Whole place burnt down to the foundation. Lost a lot of guns and a lot of ammo. Fortunately all were insured. The fire chief was my next door neighbor and knew what was in the house and wasn't suprised at the "popcorn' sound of the ammo cooking off. The 1lb of black powder did surprise him. Please be careful and do not think it can't happen to you. Mike

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Slate Mike I agree with you. I watched a guy burn off some questionable powder. To say it ignited violently would be an understatement and it was less than a pound. The fire chief is not my neighbor and I am sure the report would mention an accelerant. The insurance company could reject the claim.
In reality it is not my place to judge what others do. I just wanted to mention considerations to storing large quantities of powder.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I think you are taking the wrong perspective. You probably have the right amount of powder, you just are not shooting enough. If you are shooting enough, your inventory does not increase much. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
k3uro, Yes, His name was Wayne Mayes!!! He was burning off unwanted powder for a friend. Not only was He a Skeet Shooter, But also had "Traps triple crown" as well. He will be missed. RIP Wayne. break em all. Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts