Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang, I remember when hulls were hard to find. I even remember some near fights on the skeet fields over empties. I got to be a shell hoarder. That's a hard habit to break.

But now I have more than I can use in a life-time. I don't want to leave them for the kids to deal with when they pack me off to the county home. So I'm thinking it's time to get out the automatic and let them fly. So I take the automatic to the sporting club and they have a sign "PLEASE PICK UP YOUR EMPTIES". Darn.

So I think now that the trap league is over I'll shoot the skeet league and fling those empties. But when I walk to the skeet field on the first week of the league, there's same darn sign "PLEASE PICK UP YOUR EMPTIES". Darn, at least I brought my O/U as back-up so I wasn't chasing empties. I asked about the other clubs in the league and was told one other club has the same sign and though another club doesn't have a sign, they expect you to police your empties.

I can't really begrudge them for this, and I will comply. They have little value and somebody has to pick them up. But darn! Just when I can start enjoying one of the lesser pleasures of life it's considered bad form.

I outlived another of life's simple pleasures.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
A "true heart" reloader never has enough. Ask "recurvyarcher".

Don't none of you that know me chime in! I don't need no dam professional help. When I run out of space in the buildings I got, they still sell them everyday. I got land.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kehrby - Nice try. No harm in trying. Getting rid of those 410s will be hard for me. I'll do this one step at a time, starting with the 12 gauge.

But I was just looking at those 410s, and the several flats of new 410s I have and thinking these will last me for the rest of my shooting life. And I have plenty of 410 powder (maybe too much) and plenty of wads for those old AA 410s.

I'm thinking I'll probably shoot more skeet this spring and summer. And if 20 gauge powder becomes an issue I may shoot a lot of that skeet with the 410, that's if I can still shoot 410 well enough to not embarrass or totally frustrate myself. Think of all the $hot I'll save.

And, those 410 hulls are still easy to sell and bring a premium.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I'm sure it's all tongue-in-cheek. But, here is one possible solution.

Empty your hull bag into the trash can instead of into whatever it is that you take the empties home in. I have one of those neat Remington mesh bags with the zipper at the bottom. They cost around $5.00, maybe $10.00 if you don't shop around. Pull off the trash can lid, unzip the bottom, shake a few times, then zip it back up.

For more useful tips to organize your shooting life, go to www.dmarbellstipsforshootingandlife.com.

Danny

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Give some to young shooters that really need the hard to get hulls like .410 and 28 gauge. They'll think they are in heaven...even if they are twice fired!

It's hard for them to get everything together when they first start...loaders, supplies..."and" expensive hulls... Sometimes it's just too much for some to manage.

You'll look back and be pleased that some of your extra hulls "really made a difference" to some young guy that was struggling to get started.

Just sayin'...Stan

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hulls I really want to get rid of are 'one-more-good-reload-and-done' STS, AAs, and Premiers. When I shot a lot of registered skeet I'd use them my 1100. I also have a bin each of once fired 12 gauge Estates/Top Guns and Remington Gun Clubs that have served long and loyal duty as a security blanket. Nobody really wants those.

I don't shoot much registered skeet and very, very little 12 gauge skeet practice. I do shoot some skeet leagues and non-registered fun shoots and club championships. I enjoy shooting my automatic at those and would just like to shoot-up those shells at those shoots.

Giving away 410 and 28 gauge once-fired empties? I will take awhile to get comfortable with that. And they still have a nice market value. But I do have a small 410 'security blanket' bin of Federal/Estate 410s. A couple of non-registered events I shoot have a 410 component. I loaded some of those for that and attempted to give them away. I found some young lad that took them, but there wasn't the demand for them I thought there would be. It seems there is a huge majority of 410 shooters at that club that shoot new ammo, overwhelming Estates. So there are plenty of once-fired Estates there, even 410 and 28.

I had some 28 and 410 old AAs I was loading. I didn't take them to the edge of uselessness like I used to. I figured there were still 3 or 4 good reloads left in them. I offered them to some shooters I thought would appreciate them. These guys were eking every last reload out of some pretty ratty looking AAhs hulls. They said they take different wads and so they didn't want them.

I've spent my life as a hull whore. I've chased, scrimped, salvaged, and saved. I've got finally got enough so I can to shoot that automatic and not chase the empties. And now it is bad form to do that. Aaaaaaarrrrrgh!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Isn't it amazing! Back when 80 percent of the empties were the old style AA's and Remington hulls the sign said, "NO Picking Up Hulls". Now that 90 percent of the hulls on that hit the ground are junk the sign requires you to pick them up!

·
Registered
393 Posts
watch an episode of hoarders and you will part with some. the garbage can works its tough i know. a friend of mine said you might as well use up the good stuff now when you still can instead of someone else down the road

·
Registered
174 Posts
I will gladly take those once fired Gun Clubs off your hands. I hate to see them cause you distress, and I load them when I can get them!

Chris

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Find a local club that re-cycles for credit. They may take them so they can get more benches, scorer's chairs, gun racks, etc.

Once fired are not hard to sell, but non-usable hulls are just that.........

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Gosh, I still hate to see a good reloadable hull stay on the ground. And I have boxes and Bins full to prove it....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would be willing to pay $ 10 or so for a box of 16 ga. They are just hard enough to find to be worth it. I also could use a cheap loader. Marv in Sacramento Ca.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts