Trapshooters Forum banner

I got lucky

1135 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  P3AT
Went to visit my brother-in-law this morning to pick up some things from my father-in-laws estate. I was leaving through the garage and BIL asks if I can use those "ballast bags" over there... ??

50# of Remington 7-1/2's from at least 25 years ago. They've been on a concrete floor for the last 10 since he passed. The canvas bags were badly deteriorated and didn't make it, but we saved the shot. It looks really bad. Lots of oxidizing. More gray than white, but it's old and was on the floor.

I've been reading the old TS threads on cleaning and making it pretty and I've got another 50# of reclaimed that needs some help too. I can see what I'll be doing soon but I have no complaints. Added to the 50# of West Coast I have left I just might make it through the season even if I can't source any more. I got lucky. 😌
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Went to visit my brother-in-law this morning to pick up some things from my father-in-laws estate. I was leaving through the garage and BIL asks if I can use those "ballast bags" over there... ??

50# of Remington 7-1/2's from at least 25 years ago. They've been on a concrete floor for the last 10 since he passed. The canvas bags were badly deteriorated and didn't make it, but we saved the shot. It looks really bad. Lots of oxidizing. More gray than white, but it's old and was on the floor.

I've been reading the old TS threads on cleaning and making it pretty and I've got another 50# of reclaimed that needs some help too. I can see what I'll be doing soon but I have no complaints. Added to the 50# of West Coast I have left I just might make it through the season even if I can't source any more. I got lucky. 😌
Do not mix oxidized new shot with reclaimed. Just put enough water to cover the shot plus a teaspoonful of Dawn ( or equivalent ) dish soap in a tumbler and run it for 15 min. Then rinse it by putting it on a window screen and hose it off. No graphite needed usually. But an amount that will fit on a 3/8” wide flat screwdriver blade is more than enough.

Reactions: Dan P

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not mix oxidized new shot with reclaimed. Just put enough water to cover the shot plus a teaspoonful of Dawn ( or equivalent ) dish soap in a tumbler and run it for 15 min. Then rinse it by putting it on a window screen and hose it off. No graphite needed usually. But an amount that will fit on a 3/8” wide flat screwdriver blade is more than enough.
Thanks!

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do not put too much graphite, I put a tablespoon to a 25 lb bag like you have
it was huge mess a little goes a long way
When I was a child, my mother taught me how to do my own laundry. :mad:

To protest, I poured the whole box of powdered detergent into one load. IT WAS AWESOME! 🤩 (I got my butt beat).

I won’t do that with the graphite. I promise.

I just finished tumbling in Dawn and it’s much more uniform. The liquid I poured out was pretty putrid.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
When I was a child, my mother taught me how to do my own laundry. :mad:

To protest, I poured the whole box of powdered detergent into one load. IT WAS AWESOME! 🤩 (I got my butt beat).

I won’t do that with the graphite. I promise.

I just finished tumbling in Dawn and it’s much more uniform. The liquid I poured out was pretty putrid.
Rinse well and let dry before you graphite it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.