Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up this am and went out to get the paper. About the time I got to the paper box my neighbor went by in his 3 or 4 year old Corvette. Now yesterday we got some ice then last night another inch of snow, with the temp being about 5 degrees. I thought why in the hell is he driving his Corvette in the snow especially since he has at least a half dozen other vehicles to drive at his house.

Then I remembered - it's a Corvette, and it can only spin it's tires in the snow and ice! LOL So if he don't get out and spin em now he might have to wait till next winter!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
slayer

Yeah, me too!!!!!

1967 with a 427-435.

Trouble was it had all original drive train, and correct tire size, so traction was the big problem.

Next best driver was a Yenko Camaro I tuned for a friend. 1968 I believe. It's been many years, and as my body got bigger, my memory got smaller.

I never drove a customers car hard, but when he took me for a ride after I drove it, at 40 mph he mashed it, and pulled it into 2nd at the same time.

You heard of the $100.00 dollar bill trick? Pretty close to that!

Bisi

Good luck with your Dodges or whatever. ;)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Corvettes were a joke in 1975 with the choked down smog motors. You could hunt them down with a pre smog big block pickup. Modern 'Vettes, especially the last few years are very refined machines and have plenty of horses to get the job done. A 2010 Z06 makes over 500 hp on unleaded pump gas right from the factory.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That 3-4 year old 'Vette will light the tires very easily.....Just punch the traction control button to off....long smoky burnout!

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
My 20yr old Vette will spin as far as you want with the trac control off...What do you have you'd like to run against me BISI? I'll wait till its warm and dry to give you a chance

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Buddy of mine in Idaho just sold a mid '90's ZR-1....fast...but not as fast as the one he has left, a Z06 with a Whipple charger on it....650hp...spins it's tires just fine...most wicked ride I've ever had!

Ron Burr

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
That ZR-1 has so much untapped potential it isn't funny...just updating the engine management to current modern technology would make it frightening to drive...give those 4 cams variable timing and 600hp out of 5.7 litres is right under your foot..thats naturally aspirated small block..add a couple of the tailpipe turbos and O ring the heads,..and you're over 800...you'll need to add a button to the seat bottom for your ass to clench onto

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I had one in another life, and haven't wanted one since.

The new ones are just nice enough, that I may reconsider.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
ZR1s still hold the production car speed endurance records ..things like averaging 175MPH for 1000miles etc..its a bunch if you google it

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
The new 2014 Vett's are running around 625 HP. That is a lot of ponies from the factory, although, at $100K plus. That thing could probably spin them in all eight gears.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
magnum

Talk about wheel studs twisting off.......... Many years ago, I was street racing a guy with a 69 GTO Judge.

At about 6 months old, he took it to Michigan to some famous Pontiac garage,( I think he said the guys name was Ned Pink ?) and they pulled the engine, and really made it fast.

He was cleaning everybody's clock, so I felt I was up to the challenge.

He won the first race, I won the second, and on the third, he power-shifted to second, and sheared all ten rear wheel studs off.

Thank goodness I was ahead of him,'cause both wheels came off, went to both side ditches, one went over the fence, one went through, his car slid 90 degrees in the road, and stopped blocking both lanes.

We finally found both wheels, woke my cousin up who worked at a parts store, and was back in business in about an hour.

We had lots of laughs about that and we became good friends.

Last I heard, he still had the Goat.

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
I used to work for a mechanical contractor in Dallas that was a huge vette nut he had one for just about every year they were made, Pres of the Texas and American Corvette, and some how he decided I was going to be his mekinik on them they were fun to test drive when I was finished, the only thing is I am about 6'5" and it was a bitch to get in and out of them especially the older ones with the tall door pan. He had two Calloways at the time they were the fastest ones he had, and they went through a lot of turbos, mainly leaking seals, but I got one of them up to 180 with a lot of throttle left on the George Bush toll road right after it opened

And they all would light up the tires, from the first ones to the last ones

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
A friend of mine got a '71 LT-1 powered Vette for graduating Optometry school. It was dark olive green with tan leather...nice. After he made some money doctoring eyes, he decided the Vette wasn't good enough and bought a Porsche 911 Targa. That was back in the bad old swing axle days....the car killed him. Shoulda stayed with the Vette I guess.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
HI Cat..looks like I wasn't the only one to break in the GWBush Tollway ; ) Had my 2002 Roush Mustang GT with the SVO blower and 32valve Cobra R 5.4 with the 5spd back then...put my CD on playing Hotrod Lincoln and let'er rib coming home from work at 2am YeeeHawwwwww!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts