I didn't want an all electric car, but... | Trap Shooters Forum

I didn't want an all electric car, but...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Aug 1, 2020 at 7:48 AM.

1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program

...my son and my wife conspired against me to get one. They compared different used models available and decided on the Fiat 500e. Then they found one at a dealer that was lower priced than others in the Chicago-land area and got ready to go see it one Saturday morning. I went with.

I would have been happy to drive my rusty old 2002 Impala until it died on the road. But no, fate has taken me elsewhere. Granted my mechanic said he couldn't lift my Chevy any longer to change the oil. I was going to have to go to the drive through oil change places where they stand in a pit to drain your oil. The rust was that bad. And I was having to deal with emissions tests every year as the check engine light was always on about mid year before the test was due again.

We went for a test drive. The car was fast. We bickered on the price and got them to skip the maintenance program dealers try to sell you at a large mark up. We got out the door for $8500 + $1500 in taxes, fees and license. Not bad for a 2017 with 30k miles. They did ding us for a theft/satellite system that was already installed - $500. Here's the car:

upload_2020-8-1_6-46-9.png

I know, "where's the trunk?" and it looks like they chopped the front off about half way to the end. We've had 3 people and our dog in it going 70 MPH on Route 88 for an hour long trip. Not bad for a little commuter car. We put the one back seat down and our lab lays right down for the ride. I've delivered a mower in it and regularly carry my repair tools in the back which is just big enough, even with both back seats up.

When we first got it home, we tried plugging the charger in to our 120v house outlets. The charger threw a 311, ground fault error intermittently. We immediately built the plug conversion to use our 240v dryer outlet instead and the error went away. A month later, the error came back, so we fixed it again, Tony.

Turns out it was a faulty wall plug on the charger. My son discovered he could cause the error and make it go away by fiddling with the plug. $6 later and a little wiring and we've been solid ever since. Here's the male plug end we had to install:

upload_2020-8-1_6-49-45.png

Other problems with the car:

1. The drivers side window has some seal issues. So we bought the rubber insert that goes around the window for $100 and will replace that some day soon.

2. There was a mouse nest under the hood in the radiator system that cools the main battery. Removed.

3. While finding the mouse nest, we also noticed one of the cooling hoses was crimped so we straightened that out and haven't had a problem with it cooling at all, in spite of the summer heat here in IL.

4. The Fiat doesn't have a front license plate holder. I installed the plate directly to the plastic front bumper with a couple of small bolts, one on each side of the plate.

5. With the small wheel base, the car is a little bouncy. You can see that here:

Let me say this: I love the car. It's fast. I stayed even with a souped up Camaro the other day racing off the line at a stop light. My son noted he probably had 600 horses to my 100. I beat just about everybody off the line with no noise, so as to not bring attention to myself, except for ... the Tesla. At my price range, I'm happy. In fact, I'll honestly say this is the only car I've ever really liked. All my other cars have been transportation, an expense, and that's about it. This one is my favorite. IT'S FAST. IT'S FUN TO DRIVE. I LOVE IT.

Let me also say that range fear is something you have to get over. We've done that by keeping track of our miles according to the percent charge on the car and have not had a problem. We do go for regular hour long trips to volunteer at my daughter's farm out in the country, but then I get to have dinner with her at the end of the day while my car charges in her town (DeKalb, IL) for an hour or so. One station is free, the other is $1 per hour. They just installed a Tesla charge plug on the farm, so the plug conversion is in the works for Johnny, er Tony. It turns out the farm director's husband is an electrician! Lucky for us.

My son figures we spend about 72 cents for electricity when we fully charge at home. Sure beats buying gasoline and changing the oil and passing emission tests. I plug it in when I go to sleep and it's ready to go in the morning.

I'm over my avoidance to change in vehicle types.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    TC and JACK thanked this.
  2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

How's driving it with the extension cord dragging behind?? And how long is the cord?

I can only imagine the rat's nests as you cross the cords for other electric cars...

H M thanked this.
  3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Oh, and don't forget...

F fix
    I it
    A again
    T Tony (Johnny?)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    Kickstart173 and 460Ford thanked this.
  4. joe kuhn

Funny. It won't turn on when it's plugged in. The charge stations have their own cords and are spring loaded to pull them back in when done. My cord is 25 ft long.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 8:18 AM
  5. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Death Trap . Can you imagine running a stop sign and getting T-Boned by a 350 Super Duty in that POS ?

K-Hornet, DW11-87, mg1polo and 5 others thanked this.
  6. joe kuhn

Been there already. I look past it because it's so much fun to drive and the problems have been solvable.

7. joe kuhn

Hey, watch it mister. My car is so fast, it'll get out of the way of that Super Duty gas guzzler in a heart beat.

8. joe kuhn

Correction: Fix It Again Johnny. He wanted this car. And he has been able to fix it. So far.

9. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

A penny saved and your safety compromised.

I would never trust my life or my families in that little death trap.
    Too many trucks and larger vehicles in most locales today driven by distracted drivers.
    Hope you don’t become a statistic.

766105AD-369B-4861-9971-E400F879D7E4.jpeg

K-Hornet thanked this.
  10. ezz555

ezz555 Well-Known Member

These look only a tiny bit safer than a motorcycle. I also wonder if 3" of snow would have you waiting for the snowplow.

11. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. On a bike, you have a chance of getting thrown clear of most of the carnage. You are trapped in the soup can.

12. Troutbum60

Troutbum60 Well-Known Member

That would be my concern too. Appears this car may also double as a casket.

mg1polo thanked this.
  13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Reject from the sardine can factory - has an overactive thyroid and grew too big to be used for tiny fish.

Upscaled for fish that are a bit larger...

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

And why didn't you go topless??

15. Kickstart173

Kickstart173 Well-Known Member

16. joe kuhn

I'm already thinking of upgrading to a larger model.

17. BryanF

BryanF Well-Known Member

What happens when it rains :018:

Kizaru thanked this.
  18. rapid86

rapid86 Well-Known Member

You told us all to get over range fear but I don't see where you told us how far it will reliably go. Or how long it takes to get a full charge. A car that won't go but 100 miles without a recharge is worthless to me.,

mg1polo thanked this.
  19. Kizaru

Kizaru Active Member

You should have at least got the cool ones.

20. ezz555

ezz555 Well-Known Member

Looks like the new 2021 model will get you 200 miles with a 35 minutes to 85% charge time. I am sure that is babying the hell out of it to go that far. They talk about $40000 grand for the fancy coffin model. I'll buy something I can haul my gun with me and a buddy and his stuff as well. These cars are way to far left and I understand they stop a lot to hug a few trees along the way.

Official: New Fiat 500 Goes Full Electric With 199 Miles Range, U.S. Launch Unsure (85 Photos) | Carscoops

bossbasl thanked this.