Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spend a small fortune shooting just at my club alone, not complaining. There is a lot less fun ways to spend my money. Reading "Trap & Field every month I usually see the same faces pictured because they are winners, (one of them holds classes at my club). I was
Just wondering how one can afford to spend much of the year traveling the country to all these events and spend the week shooting. I mean cost of travel, accommodations, registration fees, and of course the cost of ammo.
Probably some are very well off, and good for them. But can they all be rich? I don't think so. To me the answer is they must be sponsored in one way or another which is fine, Since I am pretty sure they don't win enough prize money to put food on the table.
Therefore if they are in fact sponsored, and earn a living playing this game, why are they considered AMATEURS?

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Some are well off...but for most its just a matter of priorities and I am not saying they have them in the correct order but each to their own.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
When you can find the answer to your last word, a lot of us would like to know also.

When they did away with the Pro classifications, IE: industrial, and the like, everyone turned Amateur in a sense.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
himark is exactly right. It's priorities. But trap has always been seen as a "rich man's sport." Certainly, there are middle class Joes, but they enjoy the sport enough to spend their recreation dollars shooting. Many of those who travel are retired and comfortable in their finances, others schedule vacations to attend big shoots. For another large group, once the kids are gone, you'd be surprised how much disposable income we have :)

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
You misunderstand the word "amateur." Years ago professionals were considered second class citizens. In golf they were treated like the hired help and of course in the Olympics even a hint of professionalism was strictly prohibited. So the name selected for the ATA used the word "amateur" to promote prestige and respectability more than an issue of money. As we have seen, in sports, so many athletes were supported by the government or paid under the table, that it was decided in the case of the Olympics to end the charade. So, the name selected for the ATA over 100 years ago really has no relevance today to making money from the sport.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If you want to do something that it fills the majority of your lifes thoughtd, focus and dreams you will find a way to do it, maybe it's working two jobs or three, teaching or coaching the pursuit of your dreams to others as a way to finance yours.. You will find a way to support anything if it's that important to you. One of the all time great shots used sleep under his car at shoots as a way to save money to be able to pay his entry fees.

If there'a a will there's a way, always.....................

Surfer

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
rednight:
In my particular situation, I worked at a bank full time and then worked Monday -Friday at another good paying job just so I could shoot on weekends. My second job's wages was strictly my money that I used for trapshooting. When you truly love a sport you will find a way to financially participate in the sport.

Most tournament shooters that I know are hard working people with good jobs and trapshooting is their life. A very good friend of mine was Vic Reinders and Vic shot targets all over the world. Was Vic rich, no, as he worked as a chemistry professor. Vic never owned his own home and he rented an apartment. Most of Vic's money was shot over trap houses.

Yes, there are millionaires in the shooting sports but not as many as you would think. Just hard working people with good jobs that have made a financial commitment to participate in our sport. You can count on one hand how many trapshooters can make a living out of shooting trap.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
You just finding this out.....LOL Welcome to the world of the ATA. The same faces have been it the winners circle since I started shooting in 1975. The only ones that are missing are the ones that have passed away or retired or quit.. ERGO: Leo, Frank, Ross, Dan, Daro, etc. Kay O has been making a living off trap since long before I started shooting, as have lots of others. Welcome to the wake up call....LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts