Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The faster you shoot the higher the POI. Seems that is the way it is working for me
Monty

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
maybe when you shoot quickly your not keeping your head down on the stock. This would make it seem like a higher poi. Bill

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Muzzle rise with a Thompson .45 auto does change POA. POI is the same. Can't stop laughing right now.

Wayne

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Give the guy a break. Sounds like a dumb thing to say, but I understand what he's experiencing.

If a trapshooter, in an attempt to shoot more quickly, swings the gun faster this can indeed move his POI because a fast swing "has the lead built in" as old-timers used to say. What's happening is that by the time his brain tells him to pull the trigger and his finger actually does so, the muzzle has travelled farther than it used to when he was shooting more slowly. This causes the shot charge to APPARENTLY move farther in whatever direction he was headed. It is important to grasp the reason I use the word "APPARENTLY." From a strict physics standpoint, the gun does not know how fast he shoots, nor does it care. But to the shooter himself, the shot charge definitely arrives at a different spot for a given distance than where it arrived previously with a slower muzzle speed.

It's a brain & finger thing, not a gun thing. Make sense?

-Gary

·
Registered
507 Posts
Despit the chuckling... When you said "seems that is the way it is working for me", in my opinion, that's all that matters. It's called inertia. As long as you can do it in a controlled manner on all the angles, good for you.

Don't be discourged from posting here, a lot of us like to hear observations from both new and experienced shooters. Good Luck!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes- faster or slower gun movement, higher or lower POI settings.

HMB- the gravitational pull is only a theory, but I have tin foil under my shooting cap just in case...... Dan

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK it is raining and I can't hunt so I have to ask some stupid questions. Maybe I should have worded it better. Gary has it correct I mean it is common sence you have to have a higher POI or lead the faster you shoot.
Maybe I need to clean the house
Monty

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Are you talking about the height of your pattern in relation to the bead? this is your point of impact. Lead is how far your bead is in front of your target.???Bill

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes height of my pattern above my bead is what I am referring to.I think I am saying lead thinking a rising target especially doubles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.