Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you all recommend a vest, shell box holder, hull bag? If this is anything like hand guns, I bought dozens of holsters before I learned the game. Don’t want to accumulate junk. I refer to your expertise.

I did search the threads but they were all old in regards to this.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Don't wear a vest. Just shoot in t-shirt or polo. As for shell and hull holders, I have Shamrock Leather shell box holders and hull bags! Quality equipment from a family owned business that supports the sport of trapshooting.

Shamrockleathers.com

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If you need a pad to mitigate recoil, I like the Browning Reactor pad. I use one for Doubles.

Single and Handicap I shoot a Precision Fit Stock Un-single. So I am like Dukefan and use a Shamrock single box shell holder and a hang on belt 50 hull bag.
Except for a shell bag, I have a polyester bag that was sold by Shotgun Sports Magazine. I don't think they sell the one I got any more. Zipper pockets on either side and a water bottle holder. I holds 5 or 6 boxes of shells. I did win leather one couple of years ago. Still debating to stick with what has worked.

Jason

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have a Shamrock leather shell box holder, belt and hull bag, very good quality. I just purchased a polo shirt and Shock Eater recoil pad but haven't tried it out yet.

·
5,388 Posts
They come in all flavors... when you bought previous gear... did you favor poly, fabric or leather... lot of choices.

If you like wearing a vest, it's an all in one. If you wear a pouch, you've got combos or the mix/match options...

I have a vintage Boyt canvas pouch with hull bag as well as a custom leather pouch and hull hamper... different strokes...

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Everyone has their own way.

I have used a Beretta open mesh vest and a leather shell box for decades. Pull a shell, shoot, put the empty hull from the hit in the right vest pocket, put the hull from a miss in the left. you never have to keep count of your score. The breast pocket holds extra shells if you have a bad one.

That system works for me.

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
The sporties all seem to like Castellani.
Yep, same thing around here as well. The Castellani vests are the big sellers. So I would have to assume they hold up well?

As far a box holders and pouch's go!!! You have two main choices. Real Leather is the best choice if you want something to last. It has got expensive in the last few years though. As I am sure you are aware.

1) Shamrock leathers.com (one word when you google it)

2) Lonesome Charlie.com (one word when you google it)

The Shamrock is bigger in Trap. While, Lonesome Charlie is bigger with the skeet and sporting clay crowd. Good Luck on your Journey into the clay target sports. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am vest guy. I use the same mesh vest all year. It is a bit oversized for winter when wearing a light coat to shoot in. Summer it is a bit big.
If you go the vest route be sure you get one with a pouch in the back for empties. Why anyone would make a vest without a shell pouch in back I don't know.
An added plus to a vest is you always have the same material to mount your gun to and it does not slip. I tried belt pouches and found the gun would slip some unless i was wearing a cotton shirt. Polyester shirts would not grip the pad well. I prefer the weight distribution of a vest versus a belt hanging from my side. Just my experiences.
Borrow a vest from someone to see if you like it. Browning, Beretta, Boyt and Wild Hare all make quality vests.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. The Shamrock choice looks fantastic.

Edit: I suppose clip on goes over the belt and slide on has the belt go through a loop? Preference? Opinion?

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everyone has their own way.

Pull a shell, shoot, put the empty hull from the hit in the right vest pocket, put the hull from a miss in the left. you never have to keep count of your score.
That system works for me.
Great idea.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Thanks guys. The Shamrock choice looks fantastic.

Edit: I suppose clip on goes over the belt and slide on has the belt go through a loop? Preference? Opinion?
You are correct. I have both the slide on and clip on. Both work well but I prefer the slide on because it hangs lower than the clip-ons.

shamrock.jpg

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I have a Boyt canvas bag that I like a lot. Holds plenty and holds up well. I'm hoping to win a Shamrock bag but that is very unlikely, so a purchase may be in my future - kinda wish I would have started there.

If you like to shoot with your shirt untucked I recommend the Shamrock low hang pouch with the clip on mesh pouch..

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Shoot the Moon makes the best vests hands down. I'm pretty sure they make all the vests for team USA as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts