Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydraulic ?-Anyone have it in an enclosure?

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  win1911sl 
#1 ·
Does anyone have their hydraulic unit in an enclosure to soften or eliminate the noise? If so, I would appreciate seeing some pix. You can email them to me directly or post them here.

XXgbatch@comcast.netXX (delete the Xs)

Thx

Gene Batchelar
Wheaton, IL

#2 ·
Check out a wide carriage dot matrix sound proof cabinet enclosure. Used for sure, as new is very expensive, so you need to shop around. They have a hinged lid, lined with sound deadening material, have fans to cool the interior, surge unit built in, glass lid to see inside, and a paper slot the hoses run out of easily.

I don't know what new would cost with the stand, but not reasonable. If you can find cheap/used, just a terrific application.

#7 ·
I have heard people will put the unit in another room and have the hoses going through the wall. I to have heard people take foam, carpet, blue insulation boarding and build a box to cover the unit. As someone said before put the unit on a pad blanket or something and that will help. We do not know what your layout is of your house but I'm sure you can come up with something. Another thought is to have quick detachable lines so you can move the unit outside with longer hoses and or have pipes that you can attach to going through the wall so the unit is outside.

#8 ·
I have a Spolar pump and it makes quite a bit of noise. I covered mine with a spare piece of carpeting and it works great. One piece around the top and one piece over the sides. It never gets hot at all. Have checked it a bunch of times, it just gets very slightly warm. I've heard of people buying a cheap styrofoam ice chest and putting it over the top, cutting a hole for the hoses, but capeting with the tufts facing in works pretty good. Spolar has longer hoses, but at a ridiculous price, that I thought of running thru the dividing wall in the center of my basement and putting the motor on the other side of the wall. I can hear it under the carpeting, but its a whole lot better.

#10 ·
gbatch,

I do have one, but honestly have not installed it yet. I bagged an enclosure when one was rolling through my building. I just got the Spolar hydraulic last time up to my home in Reno, so have not installed the enclosure yet. I was too anxious to setup the hydraulic and load up a couple of flats.

The Spolar I am told is a bit quieter than the P/W, but I was buying the electronic foot control over the P/W offering. I think it is a Baldor motor, but have not looked. It is no doubt the hydraulic pump making the noise. It is not terrible, and to some degree you get accustom to it.

I will put the cabinet in next chance, as that is why I got it. Dot Matrix printers came standard for 8-1/2x11 finished size, and the larger size was what we refer to as green bar, which goes in a much wider printer. The pump/motor I have is just over 2 feet wide, so it will fit nicely.

#11 ·
The printer enclosure is appealing because they have some sound deadening material in them already and some have cooling fans. I checked on line and can get a used one for $50.00. And shipping is ONLY $135.00 via UPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Must be made of particle board. Time to hit the surplus stores around here. Or maybe I'll just build one myself - I have some surplus particle board in the garage. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Gene Batchelar
Wheaton, IL

#12 ·
<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">
</a>

Built this box enclosure and lined with sound absorbing insulation same as used in insulating highspeed air ducts. Hydraulic unit bolted down with rubber grommet washer bolts and unit supported by rubber pad. Large openings cut for hoses and electrical wire to provide ventilation. Just hear a slight "hum" when unit operating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.