Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Hard to tell but based on the size I would think one of the parents was a goofy Mallard of some sort. The bill looks black so gadwall might make sense.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Juvenile Drake Black Duck?

Maybe a butch hen mallard?

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I think it is your camera. Others have dark beaks as well or are you inferring the entire flock is binary?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
"Butch"?, "binary"? How about a little more gender sensitivity. This flock is an excellent example of gender diversity and identification acceptance. Show some respect.

K

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We need a spring Drake only hunt.
I think it is your camera. Others have dark beaks as well or are you inferring the entire flock is binary?
Nope just that one drake I watched him for a while his beak was mostly black when the sun hit him his beak had some orange in it.
He hung out with the drakes that didn't have hens all doing that courting thing where they all peep and swim in circles while fluffing their heads up. Definitely a drake has a curly Q too.

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
As Ed would say, "We have really big shue tonite. Tommy James and the Shondells, The Beatles on film and TopoGigio!" Television was pretty sparse back then.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
We need a spring Drake only hunt.

Nope just that one drake I watched him for a while his beak was mostly black when the sun hit him his beak had some orange in it.
He hung out with the drakes that didn't have hens all doing that courting thing where they all peep and swim in circles while fluffing their heads up. Definitely a drake has a curly Q too.
Look at the 2 drakes in the top right 1/3 - both have black beaks.

Not saying they aren't cross breeds.

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
As Ed would say, "We have really big shue tonite. Tommy James and the Shondells, The Beatles on film and TopoGigio!" Television was pretty sparse back then.

Bob Falfa
Hanky Panky in the duck gaggle.

Reactions: idustem
1 - 20 of 34 Posts