Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of building a hunting cabin in the spring. Need some ideas to make it nice for cleaning fish, butchering deer, and cleaning birds. ALso, any ideas on how to get in and out without spreading mud through mommas portion of the cabin would be greatly appreciated. Will have well water and septic, power already run to the spot.

Thanks in advance

Bill Payne

·
Registered
701 Posts
Climate? Security? Maximum number of people who will stay during the night? Do you need a furnace/propane or will a wood burning stove do the job (or both). Are you going to build it yourself? Local materials that are available. Do you need to drain the water during the winter, want a year long cabin (or live where it does not freeze).

My daughter is an architect and has been hunting since she was 12. She had designed hunting cabins which will sleep 20 in separate suites and two room roughing it cabins with no running water. Determine what you want, how many will be staying (then double it as if you build it they will come), how long of stay (do you need a washer/dryer, do you need a food pantry), can you have a basement (or do you want one?).
Security, the one thing we did not originally build in was security (come on we are miles from anyone). After three break ins and lots of stolen stuff we added a secure room and hidden cameras etc. Cell service? or would you need a land line? Do you want tv reception? do you get it where you are? satellite service?
Do you need a place for a tractor, mower, snow removal, decoys (duck/geese/turkey/deer). Shop?

We built a cabin (meaning my wife, two daughters, extended family and I) about 20 years ago. It was a basic rectangle (32 ft wide by 50 ft long) on a slab. We built it using 2 by6 construction. The interior walls are tongue and groove pine from Cohasset MN. There is a 10by 10 jut out about half way down the long side. You enter a utility room that is a 10 by 10 "mud" room with a 10 by 20 outside slab/patio for butchering/cleaning/etc). The utility closet is next with the water diaphragm/water heater/furnace and some more storage. The back side of the utility closet is the bathroom reducing the plumbing runs. The kitchen/dining room/living/family room are all one big space. Two bedrooms are on the far end. the bedrooms sleep 4, the two couches in the living space are fold outs for two more double beds, the other two couches sleep one each and we have a couple of cots. We will be adding on this year to provide room for the grand kids and add a washer/dryer space for extended stays.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Take advantage of the local sawmills. Best thing I did while planning/building mine. Build a great big bar/countertop/eating/b.s.ing area that seats 8 or so. Remember it's a place to socialize. Bill

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
We put up a double wide trailer with no siding from factory, then sided it with wood ship lap, rough sawed.

We set it on a walk out basement. used the basement for mens bathroom, shower, mud room, meat processing.

We also installed a walk around porch-deck.

Long gone, too many partners (3}. Be wary of investing with others.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I have discussed using sea containers with a friend of mine. They can be fairly inexpensive to buy and alter, but shipping and site set up could get pricey. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you can set up those sea containers so they can be dropped in place, they make a fabulous structure for very little money.

We have 2 side by side used for storing birds. They are water tight and basically bullet proof.

We paid $2750 per unit delivered all taxes in. We needed about 2 hours of crane work to put them where we wanted them. 640 square ft in an instant.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Yeah, building codes. You can't build what you wanna build or can afford because the a___s in government think they know best.

A buddy of mine built a 4 sided rectangular cabin out of split faced block and then put trusses on top. He said that was the least expensive way for him to go. Looks good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts