Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased Turkish Walnut from Hunterbid.com?
I'm considering buying a stock blank and wanted to ensure they are legitimate.

I will be calling other sources to be sure, but wanted to post here as well.

Best

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking at another supplier of black walnut who has a replacement policy, though I found no such policy for HunterBid. Old Tree Gun Blanks in Utah has a larger inventory. How common are voids in blanks for final stocks?

· Registered
796 Posts
K80,

The more fancy the blank and especially the burl blanks are more likely to have an unseen flaw or cavity internally.
That is why you want to buy from a source that will stand behind their product if there is a hidden flaw.

CT

· Registered
3,084 Posts
What sort of guarantee is offered if a huge void in the middle of the blank is uncovered in the machining process rendering the blank completely worthless?
Says this on the website:
During shaping or carving if you discover an internal unfixable flaw, we will replace the blank.

I love that they wrote on the image of their building for some reason.
Here's the picture form the website:

Here's the image from google maps:

Has anyone purchased Turkish Walnut from Hunterbid.com?
I'm considering buying a stock blank and wanted to ensure they are legitimate.
I will be calling other sources to be sure, but wanted to post here as well.
Best
I haven't bought from them but they most likely are legit. In that they resell blanks from Turkish suppliers.
You can buy direct from those suppliers as well, they are all over.

Biggest things to watch out for as some started to allude to above when buying blank are:
Do they warranty bad blanks
How were the blanks dried
Are the blanks actually done drying

First one is easy to check.
The second one is almost impossible to check until you've inletted a blank and its doing weird things because it was kiln dried and not air dried.
Third one you can check. Below 8% moisture content is best for stable inletting. But it can take years to get a few percent out.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The blank I'm about to buy is from Old Tree Gun Blanks in Cedar City, UT. The blank is a hybrid between American Black Walnut and Claro Black Walnut.

It was cut about 20 years ago. Most importantly, he will replace if a void is discovered while making the stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.