Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I was shooting practice from the 16 and shot a 98 so I was feeling pretty good about myself and ask the other guys to shoot a round from the 27. I shot a 17 from back there, That brought me back to earth!!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really understand why it is so much harder? I know the targets are farther away but I just could not figure out where to hold, How much lead and so on.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Anyone who can shoot good scores from the 27 yard line is king trap shooter in my book. Pro or no pro it's tuff back there.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am still fairly new to this, but managed to break a couple 25's and numerous 23's-24's before venturing back to the dark side of the 27. After about 7-8 wtf's in a row, i finally got it dialed in and broke a few. I think the 22 yard line and beyond should be named "Humility Rows".

There is so much more to this that i ever imagined, but it sure is fun.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
If you shot from the 27 yd line for 20+ years,like many of our top amateurs,do you think you would have a pretty good idea as far as hold & lead ? I think I could improve. Clyde Doll

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
One of the problems with shooting from the 27 is not shooting enough at that distance. Most of our ego's never let us do what we really can. We shoot a couple of bad scores and run back up to the 16 just to prove to ourselves we can still break a target. Me included.

But, if you shoot four hundred 27 targets during the week and shoot 200 on the weekend in registered events. Do this for about 3 months. The scores will come up, but if you don't keep at it the scores go down a lot faster.

Ajax

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm new, but explain why the leads from post 5 are greater than from post 1. Geometry would seem to dictate they should be the same, no?

Steve Schwab

·
Registered
14,590 Posts
schwabby, Those are suggested leads. Speed of the swing, and how quick you shoot will change those leads. Only practice and sight memory will train your senses.

Oh ya, don't forget about wind, clouds, and other disturbances.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I shoot 27yrd for the games for may yrs (too many to count) But for the life of me I cant put together a good score at the 16. You may laugh your head off but I just cant shoot a target there .

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
See the bird quicker, shoot quicker....

and the idea about 400 targets a week @ 27 sounds about right!!!

27 and still struggling....

Big
Perazzi!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Those leads in the diagrams seem awfully long, but I think I swing the gun fairly fast. A lot depends on whether you're a fast pointer or slow aimer. I usually go for about 10" - 18" on hard left and right 27 yd targets - sometimes 2 feet if I'm slow, but I'd be missing in front with any more lead than that. Sometimes we shoot from the clubhouse porch and I don't even lead the hard angles that much (and we throw screamers)!

I'm also with Mdl1261, I enjoy the Annie's/Custers, Buddies and 27 yd practice and can't for the life of me shoot 16 yards worth my salt. That's OK though - I never was a very good singles shot anyway, and I REALLY enjoy long yardage and games! J

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Can we really put a specific distance on how much to lead a target at long yardage? Since the POI can vary from one shooter to the next so does leading the target, right?

·
Registered
14,590 Posts
I don't know what the percentage of required increased accuracy is for 27 yard targets compared to singles, but I know it's considerable. You will never be a good 27 yarder shooting 16 yard targets. There are too many variables in learning the 27 yard line: Fast loads, light loads, shot drop, wind, sun/clouds, recoil, the tempo of your squad, the quality of the targets, and that little devil that sits between your ears and tells you get away from the pressure to perform.

·
Registered
14,590 Posts
I never said there is anything "mystic" about the 27, but practicing 16 yard targets will not help your 27 yard scores. All the variables further complicate 27 yard targets. Wind and light being the 2 worst.

If it's so easy, why do so many struggle to maintain a 90 average? Sure, there are a lot of 27 yarders who turn down reductions, but that's because once you leave, it is difficult to get back there again.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have to agree with all that TwinBirds has said with one addition. I find seeing the target clearly from the 27 is a struggle for my ageing eyes, so maintaining a strong mental focus on the target is a necessity.

Robert

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.