Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started shooting trap again after a 20 year layoff. With in a month of shooting I broke 25 straight. Over this year of shooting I broke more 25's but no 50's. Finally after one year to date when I broke the first 25, I broke 50 straight at a local monthly shoot last Sunday. I was feeling pretty good, so I decided to go to a local Thursday night 50 target shoot under the lights. I thought I had it figured out... WRONG! I broke an 18, missing 4 targets off of post one. That's when I ate my slice of Humble Pie. I regrouped for the second 25 and broke them all for a solid 43. I now know I have to work on every target one at a time and not to get ahead of myself.

·
Banned
197 Posts
I find myself in the same position more often than not. I have a really good day, run 50 or 75, think I have it all figured out, head to the line confident that I'm about to shoot my first 100 and miss the first target out.

1 target at a time.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I am firmly convinced that what hooks us at trap is that we each and every one have days that we run 100 straight or 50 straight and we start feeling really competitive. We go to a state shoot or other big shoot and come within 1 or 2 targets of shooting the same score as the "big dogs". I'm sure most of us have done this more than once and have even beaten a top shooter or 2. BUT: Our ability usually is fleeting whereas the top shooters remains steady. We tell ourselves that but for that one missed target we could have beat that top shooter or won that big match. THAT is what hooks us; the hope that we can win it all.....the truth is that the top shooters have a LOT more ability whether natural or learned and trap is a game of really just 1 or 2 targets that we almost always miss..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts