Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steel headed hulls will not eject from my Briley tubes. Tried polishing the tube chamber but it didn't help. Anyone know of a solution to this problem other than shooting only brass hulls?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
What gauges are you having problems with? I have issues in 20 gauge with Federal hulls, with their higher steel bases, but don't have issues with Remington Gun Clubs. I only shoot Winchester AA or Remington STS in 28 and 410, as I reload the hulls. If you don't reload 28 or 410 and are trying to save money by shooting cheap shells, consider shooting AAs and selling the hulls to reloaders. With the AA rebate and getting money for the hulls, you can do well. The rebate ends for this year at the end of the month.
http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/217923 2015 AA Form.pdf

·
Registered
14,120 Posts
Some hulls just don't work with some tubes.

Only option is to switch to a hull or shell that will work.

I'm not aware of any method that will solve the sticking problem. It's just luck of the draw. Some shells work perfectly fine in some tubes, but not at all in others.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Best to bite the bullet and use AA's or STS's.
By continuing to use steel based shells you will eventually bend or break the slave ejectors.
Having to pry out the stuck hulls contributes to a loss on concentration on the targets.

CT

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's 28 ga that is my problem. European steel headed shells. I just think I may have to stick to AA and STS.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Stick to WW. Their hull is better than STS in 28 ga for reloading, and will sell for a little more than STS.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just shot some Herters 28's for the first time in my tubes with no problem. I also just bought a mec 28 ga sizemaster. Just loaded up my first 100 shells and will try them this weekend. They cost less than $5 a box. If they shoot well, I will pay for the press in less than a year and shoot AA hulls loaded the recipe I want. Good luck. Al Baker

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a problem with .410 STS hulls sticking. Compared a factory shell with a reload and found my Grabber was not sizing enough. Adjusted the collet to size the same as factory and have had no more problems with any brand.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Unless your sub-gauge tubes were made in the last few years they were never made to fit Euro Type Shells. So you really need to use American Brass based shells. Pick one and reload it. I like to use the KISS system. I pick one hull for everything, one type of wad for everything, Keep It Simple Stupid. lOl. You get the idea!!! Its not worth the risk breaking/or bending the ejectors, to save a few pennies. Its really not worth even one lost target in a top 100 shoot as well. Listen to Searun!!! break em all. Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts