Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I reinvent the wheel. is there a chart some where of hulls per pound chart as there is with rifle/pistol brass?
Or when you guys buy or sale hulls, how do you come up with a count?

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Before I reinvent the wheel. is there a chart some where of hulls per pound chart as there is with rifle/pistol brass?
Shouldn't be too difficult to construct it yourself.

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
When I sell my 28 ga hulls, I put a small cardboard box on a kitchen scale (digital), Zero out the "tare", and then weigh 1 hull, then 10 hulls, and then 100 hulls. I see how much slop there is in the readings as I get more hulls in.

Usually, the amount of slop in measuring 100 hulls at a time, is less than the weight of 1 hull.

Then I weigh them out by 100 each. I always throw in a couple extra when selling. If I'm selling 1000, I weigh out 1000 (100 at a time) then add 5-10 hulls, rather give them 10 extras than 1 short.

·
Registered
16,715 Posts
I'm reminded of a scale my local old timey hardware store has. They use it for counting small stuff, nuts bolts washers etc. It has the normal weighing pan for the goods, and a small tray which by some kind of magic counts by quantities of 10 when a balance is achieved. 10 pieces in the small pan, 100 in the big one.
Human beings are very inventive.

HM

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
There is a scale that works by placing 10 pieces on it. Then weight all of the pieces and it gives you the total count on the scale.It is expensive and used a lot in shipping departments.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Since an ounce = 437.5 grains...Using .29 oz. as an average hull weight X 1000 = 290 ounces divide that by 16 (oz in a #) and you come up with 18.125 pounds per 1000 hulls.

When I box up hulls for resale I use 19 pounds and that includes the tare weight of the box.

500 hulls easily fit into a Hodgdon 2X8# powder box

·
Premium Member
8,262 Posts
Since an ounce = 437.5 grains...Using .29 oz. as an average hull weight X 1000 = 290 ounces divide that by 16 (oz in a #) and you come up with 18.125 pounds per 1000 hulls.

When I box up hulls for resale I use 19 pounds and that includes the tare weight of the box.

That all depends on what gauge you would be using.
MG

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts

There, you see? He didn't have to use no stink'n x's and y's....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I figured 18#/1000 when selling 12ga. once fired hulls and added a few extra's. Brand didn't seem to matter when I weighed them out in lots of 100. That is how I came up with that weight, Never had a complaint of anyone being shorted.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,700 Posts
There are 7000 grains in a pound - easy to remember. Your powder scale weighs in grains. Do the math - it is good for your brain!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Plastic shopping bags, and a piece of paper in the bag. For every box of new hulls I put in the bag I put a slash on the paper till I get I get to 250. Then start a new bag. I didn't major in math in college. KISS is my motto.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts