Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did try to search using the new forum search function, but didn't find anything, so apologies in advance if this has been discussed.

Can one safely substitute the Rem STS/GN hull for an AA hull, all other components equal?

This question is bred from the almost complete lack of loads using the Rem hull with Win 209 primers, of which I now have a plethora of both. It seems to me this should be okay since the STS hull has more capacity than the AAHS hull, but then some things in reloading do not follow logic.

The load in question is Rem GN hull, Win 209 primer, with 18.5 grs RedDot and a DRXL-1 wad which I have a few bags of left. This load shows mid-range pressure with the Win 209 primer and AA hull on the Alliant site, and both show similar pressure in the Rem Hull with softer Rem 209P primer. My concern is primarily in using the hotter Win primer plus the DRXL-1 wad with the Rem hull.

This is further confused because the Alliant site lumps the AA12SL and DRXL-1 as "identical" wads even though they do not resemble each other in the slightest, but separates the CB1100-12 which appears a virtual clone yet seems to generate lower pressures than the others.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I would do it!

The Rem hull maybe less pressure because there is more room in it.

Below is a 1-1/8 oz load that is Alliant Red Dot data.
2 3/4 Remington Plastic Shells (STS, Nitro 27, Premier RXP and Gun Club)1 1/8-1,200Rem 209PRed DotCB 3118-1218.59,800

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Unless you are trying to push maximum loads, or maybe even the upper third of pressure curve. Substitute one hull of the type you are wanting to try and take that one and test fire it. In this test fire pattern it against the other hulls look listen and feel for any changes in recoil, sound and damage to the hull.

I read all the warnings about the danger of changing one component in the load you are using. Looking at the data given, if you are pushing for all you can get, as in maximum loads, these warnings are really good. However once you have gotten down to the middle of the recommended loading data? THAT one change frequently falls well within standard deviation charts for the loads.

So provided you are not a maximum load addict. Look at the data and see if the new hull or component has room in the pressure curve and data. If that data doesn't show a danger then try one, no problem load a few more if anything shows off stop trying but if nothing changes go for it!

Conversely if you are pushing maximum loads every change of lot numbers should be tested the same way!

Al

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
You should be fine. I load 18.4 of Green Dot for 1 1/8th with Win 209's and either WAA-12, DRRF8, or DRXL1 1/8 wads in STS and Nitro hulls, and its a light 1175 load.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
AA's and STSs with 700x WAA12 and Win 209 are interchangeable per published data

Reactions: Big Az Al

·
Registered
24 Posts
There was a time a very long time ago that I would inter mix AA and STS hulls on my MEC 9000. I used the same primer and wad, but never went overboard on the powder charge. Never had a problem in hundreds of thousands of reloads. I stopped intermixing the hulls when AA HS came out - I switched to Remington only, but also started reloading Gun Clubs with great results still interchanging all kinds of primers (not Federal 209A )Remington low brass game loads reload great too, beautiful crimp and never hang up in my 391.
I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but I have shared my experience.
Tom

·
Premium Member
11,837 Posts
There was a time a very long time ago that I would inter mix AA and STS hulls on my MEC 9000. I used the same primer and wad, but never went overboard on the powder charge. Never had a problem in hundreds of thousands of reloads. I stopped intermixing the hulls when AA HS came out - I switched to Remington only, but also started reloading Gun Clubs with great results still interchanging all kinds of primers (not Federal 209A )Remington low brass game loads reload great too, beautiful crimp and never hang up in my 391.
I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but I have shared my experience.
Tom
I still do the same but only with the AACF hulls and I have enough of them to last a long time. The AAHS hulls are different.

·
5,388 Posts
As a few have said already, the AACF hull and the Remington CF hulls all seem to interchange. My preferences leaned toward the Remington RTL and STS hulls...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts