Trapshooters Forum banner

Hull prep

2788 Views 23 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Duck 51
How do you prep your Hull before loading.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
The only hull preparation that I do is to steel shells. I have a MEC case conditioner that does a resize to the hull steel base. They go through my PW press and Spolar presses more easily. There is less chance for abrading the resizing dies thus minutely making the dies slightly larger (steel to steel wear) on the presses. Older complete brass hulls were never as difficult to resize in my presses.

Premium Member
I fill my girl friends zip pouches for her delicate's with hulls & segregate the the pouches into Nitro's ,Gun Clubs & STS's . I run the lot in the washing machine on warm in the gentle cycle with 2 thirds cup of Dawn & Lemon Brite. I used to put them in the dryer But the noise made my girl curious & I caught a lot of grief for using her garment pouches. So now I hang the hulls on the line using a spring loaded device called a Clothes Pin, they come out clean & fresh ready to reload. Now they even smell better than Federal Papers when I fire them. :p

Premium Member
I talk to my hulls in low soothing tones telling them what is in store for them . I gently caress them as I`m boxing them , again talking in low soothing tones . Then I take them to the Gun Club where I blow the little Bastards up.......The process is then repeated over and over again......

Premium Member
I talk to my hulls in low soothing tones telling them what is in store for them . I gently caress them as I`m boxing them , again talking in low soothing tones . Then I take them to the Gun Club where I blow the little Bastards up.......The process is then repeated over and over again......
I sooo get it. Hull Lives Matter!!!!!

Registered
Like Reid, I use a MEC case conditioner to deprime & resize the bases of my fired hulls.

Being retired & with time on my hands, I take the additional step of running any deprimed steel-based hulls though a MEC Super Sizer. A few of my vintage trap guns are auto-loaders & they seem to function more reliably when the steel-based hulls have been resized in a collet. I only reload those steel-based hulls once before pitching them.

Works for me anyway...

Registered
How do you prep your Hull before loading.
I simply wipe them down with a sort of oily rag, check the mouth for splits and/or badly burned mouth edges, a still in place primer (do not load those hulls with a missing primer--the new one will likely also fall out), split head or torn rim, and run them. The inspection and wipe down only takes a couple of seconds for each hull.

Registered
On a bad weather day with time on my hands I will dump them out on a towel on the floor and give each one a quick look over / throwing away any with flaws. Then when reloading no need to inspect them and less rejects.

Registered
In other words you tell them your going to bang them!

Registered
I simply wipe them down with a sort of oily rag, check the mouth for splits and/or badly burned mouth edges, a still in place primer (do not load those hulls with a missing primer--the new one will likely also fall out), split head or torn rim, and run them. The inspection and wipe down only takes a couple of seconds for each hull.
The oily rag is interesting as is the missing primer. I was taught that oil on a hull or case was not a good thing. A bad hull will also show a gas leak(black ring around primer) before it will fall out and then it would most often happen in a semi- auto as the face of a double will hold it in..

Read Only
For Federal Papers, I put them in target boxes in the top of my garage on hot days to dry out any moisture and to redistribute the wax in the hulls.

I only reload brass headed hulls as my 870's do not function well with steel hulls. Even for brass headed hulls, I adjust the collett resizer on my MEC presses to resize the heck out of my hulls. I had to replace two sets of action bars on my 870 TC Trap before I started resizing the heck out of my paper hulls. This left a slight ring mark on the paper but they shucked great, smooth as snot on a stick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.