Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Vendor
19,652 Posts
The Lennox heating dealer that services my house unit had a secretary that while on the way to work in the early am, struck a horse loose from its stable. the horse killed her on the spot. I do not know if it came thru her windshield or the impact busted her up. # 2 story. a year prior to my dating my current wife she struck a deer while entering onto a 65 mph divided hiway. US Rt 12 in Southern WI. It came thru her windshield. Lots of cuts and blood. Could have been worse.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
633 Pounds just coming out of hibernation season would put a hundred or more pounds on by fall most likely. I sure would NOT want to kill that bear when I was hunting him unless I had a four horse team to help drag it out!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I have a cabin in Potter County. It is the "God's Country" of Pennsylvania. Mostly nothing but hunting camps up there. Once had the best deer hunting in the state, and an old issue of Outdoor life, from 1971 or 1972, said Potter County had more deer in it than any other county in the Country!!

Of course, the Game Commission really hammered the deer with unlimited doe tags years ago, when they decided to put the forestry industry ahead of animal management, most guys don't bother going to their camps anymore, many sit empty, and while the bucks have some nicer antlers now because they introduced Antler Restrictions as the bait for Herd Reduction, seeing any deer at all is limited now.

Still an absolutely beautiful place, love trout fishing in the fall when the leaves are vibrant!!

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
'Our' camp is in McKean Co. It's a shame, the only time we go up anymore is for bear season... We used to go up a lot more.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Lennox heating dealer that services my house unit had a secretary that while on the way to work in the early am, struck a horse loose from its stable. the horse killed her on the spot. I do not know if it came thru her windshield or the impact busted her up. # 2 story. a year prior to my dating my current wife she struck a deer while entering onto a 65 mph divided hiway. US Rt 12 in Southern WI. It came thru her windshield. Lots of cuts and blood. Could have been worse.
Your wife is very lucky! Glad she wasn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Pretty big melon on that beast. I wonder if it's going to be measured for score? And yes, I know an animal killed by a vehicle can't go in the book, but it would be interesting to know the score.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a cabin in Potter County. It is the "God's Country" of Pennsylvania. Mostly nothing but hunting camps up there. Once had the best deer hunting in the state, and an old issue of Outdoor life, from 1971 or 1972, said Potter County had more deer in it than any other county in the Country!!

Of course, the Game Commission really hammered the deer with unlimited doe tags years ago, when they decided to put the forestry industry ahead of animal management, most guys don't bother going to their camps anymore, many sit empty, and while the bucks have some nicer antlers now because they introduced Antler Restrictions as the bait for Herd Reduction, seeing any deer at all is limited now.

Still an absolutely beautiful place, love trout fishing in the fall when the leaves are vibrant!!
Damn Flatlanders! :shooter1:

Just kidding I don't say that anymore. At one time I could say it with enough venom to make people recoil in fear LOL. I remember well my Great Grandmother telling me about the blizzard in May of 1925 that killed all the calves in Galeton it was a rough year for everyone. I used to sell my furs in Elkland in the Spring, payday time for a winters worth of work.

In the 70's and 80's it was the whole Twin Tiers of NY (Steuben, Chemung, Tioga) and Pa. (Potter, Tioga, Brandford) that had some of the best deer hunting in the Country. And ruff grouse. But a lot of new growth timber then and most the farms, which were all small, gave out a decade or 2 before and people started letting their fields grow over with new succession growth.

From what I understand to get the big forests there cut now is harder than building a new Nuclear Power Plant. All those city folks want to see big trees, which create a sterile environment for wildlife.

Was able to get back "home" for a couple of years on recruiting duty in the mid 80's. Decade and a half ago for few years in a row took my son back for youth deer season and he shot his first deer not far where I shot mine. But it isn't the same as it used to be. However for a few years 3 generations of us were able to hunt ruff together. Harder to find a ruff than a deer now.

That is a big bear for anywhere Gary Alt did a lot for the Pa. bear recovery despite those that hated him for antler restrictions. Article said a truck hit him my money is on a damn fracking truck. They are everywhere now days and roads that used to be not more than a 2 track are paved today. Did I mention it isn't wasn't it used to be? But the Endless Mountains are still beautiful in my book. Just a lot more people and more developed. Guess some call that progress. Or maybe I am just getting old.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Gary Alt did a lot for the Pa. bear recovery despite those that hated him for antler restrictions.
The antler restriction is the best thing the Game Commission ever did !!!
Anybody that doesn't believe in it is a retard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Oh you will get no argument from me. But many didn't see it that way and going back with my son was shocked at how many vehicles parked at SGL parking lots had signs inside that said "fire Alt now" in them. When he left Pa. the Blufflands Whitetail Association in the corner of Mn. Wi. and Iowa hired him as a consultant. Mn. now has antler restrictions in the SE part of the State because of him. It used to be a larger area however it made a lot of people upset here also.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Alt is not popular in the NorthCentral region. Sure, when I'm down hunting in 2a and 2B, there's plenty of deer, the herd reductions have little impact and the deer have nice racks. But in the NC, the populations are down big time. They cut them way further than they needed to be.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
article says they gave the meat to some folks, I presume some low income folks who will appreciate it.

I wonder if the game commission kept the hide and skull (maybe claws too?) for educational display?

It would make for an interesting display. Especially that big coming out of hibernation.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
article says they gave the meat to some folks, I presume some low income folks who will appreciate it.

I wonder if the game commission kept the hide and skull (maybe claws too?) for educational display?

It would make for an interesting display. Especially that big coming out of hibernation.
That meat was most likely given to the first person on scene to ask for it. It says a "As for the remains, "the bear was permitted out to an individual for consumption"."

That means someone asked for it on the scene, and was given the permit to keep it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts