Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21,421 Posts
Farm raised tame turkeys make good turkey callers.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
406FBE01-CB11-4D20-AC37-49D80EEB2290.png
She’s gotta by thinking wtf, “c’mon man it’s mid April”!

Reactions: RickN

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Getting started here in Ohio tomorrow. Bird numbers seem down but there are still some running around. We'll see how we do the next few days.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Opened up on April 18 in KY, haven’t been yet matter of fact haven’t bought my license yet.
The desire seems to be gone, time will tell, good luck to all that are hunting.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Opening morning, 1st season, walking back to truck at 0741hrs. Silent on roost, flew down, gobbled 1 time when he saw my dekes. 11yds he bit the dust with a Mathews Z7 and a Grim Reaper 2" cut Whitetail broadhead. Flopped him on the spot!!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Pretty slow.
I put the slug barrel on my trap gun last night and screwed in the turkey choke. Loaded 4 shells in the mag and set it by the back door. Then at 6am, I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep.

Reactions: SecondChance

·
Registered
271 Posts
Left the house about 1pm for the turkey woods. Had breakfast and set up my tick hotel. Put permethrin dose on EVERYTHING... AGAIN. Let it all dry while I ate lunch.

Got out in the woods, hadn't seen any thing, hadn't heard anything, it was 70 and sunny. I stopped at a spot "further down the line" where it sounded like they all ran toward when I started calling last year.

Trying out a new technique, I REFUSE to use the slang "hack" to describe turkey hunting. I found one of those fold up lawn chairs a few years ago with a roof that comes up over it. Thought it would "make a blind" for what ever. Search through them to find a forest green one and last year I spray painted some light green, tan, and brown vertical stripes on the forest green. Note from today, it is still a little to dark.

The next part of the plan came in a year or so ago when Rural King put those rolls of camo burlap on sale.

Camo paint on a few cloths pins and permethrin today and it saw some action this afternoon.

Rolled up a couple dekes in the burlap, folded up the chair and bungee it all to an old back pack frame and it was every thing I hoped for. Kick the leaves and sticks away, set up the chair and throw up the roof. Unfold the deeks and just throw the burlap over the top and hanging to the ground on each side. Cloths pin where ever you feel the need. I put a couple vertical sticks on the "door" in front to keep the wind from flapping it. Set up my dekes 30 yards out and sat down in my new hidey hole. I like it sat and listened a while, called a while, took a super good nap, repeat until about 4 or so.

Never heard or saw a thing so I took down the dekes. Had everythig in a little pile at the hide out and decide to do a little observation session to see just how well that thing hides out there. Looked like it was standing out like a giant pink thumb to me, even after I brushed it in a little.

Right about then I heard some clucking on the hillside across the valley, sounded like she was following those turkeys who went by there last year. So I figure all I had to go on was luck and maybe a Tom would follow HER. I rushed back to the GUN I left in the chair and plopped down in there.

I mocked her back that little noise a lone hen makes looking for some company, I call it TICK tock and she comes RIGHT BACK WITH IT. Couple minutes and she has reversed course coming back my way and takes a left at the ridge top and heads straight at me, TICK tock, I got cha, tick tock, HA I could see her coming.

Can't shoot 'em here in the fall but I decided it would make a "seal the deal" dry run. If I COULD get away with it this thing might actually be working. No dekes out at all so it is all calling and camouflage. We had a nice long conversation about SOMETHING, came right in about 10 feet away and made a circle around me looking for that other gossip and waddled up the hill behind. Never the slightest alarm.

That was enough to make me set up again and stick it out another hour or so. Never killed anything but I've had a lot worse hunts AND I'm pretty confident in most all the "stuff" I've jumbled around compared to previous hunting I've done from other blinds. Built a little more confidence in my calling since I just took it out of the fridge and put it in my pocket one the way out the door today, no practice calling for weeks ahead of time.

I might even get up EARLY TOMORROW!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Our season opens May 1 - have been out scouting, bird numbers don't look too good.

I usually see them around during deer season, usually gives me some indication of what the following spring season might be like, I saw VERY few last fall..

Several wet springs in a row hurts our numbers..

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Tagged out in Ohio, I’m thinking seriously about taking a trip either to New York or Pennsylvania, I’ve got Wisconsin tags for later in May, but I’d sure like to get in the woods this weekend

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tag punched 4/16 at noon. Toms haven’t been very vocal this year. Seeing more birds on cameras as weather warms at 7200 feet in southern Colorado.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts