Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a recent shoot, the shooter called the target,shot, missed the bird,
the scorer of course called "lost". as the bird continued to fly, another
20 yards, it broke in half. no shooters on the line noticed or objected.
only the scorer and a few spectators saw it it, how would you handle
this?

·
Registered
29,273 Posts
Dead bird.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
That is why as a scorer you never call the bird until it hits the ground or something or drops out of sight. That was a dead bird and I hope it was changed to reflect that.

--- Chip King ---

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Chipking, if only the shooters would give the scorer that much time. Bang! pull!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I have several times in my less than illustrious career seen this happen and saved a bird on two occasions. I watch very closely when the shooter dusts the target as this was the case both times. This is definitely a dead bird and hopefully someone brought it to the attention of the scorer and got it corrected! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
It would be called Lost at a FITASC sporting event, I had it happen once with a gravity rabbit, it rolled another 10 ft,and fell in half.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Could be a really difficult call if there were other shooters firing on an adjacent field. If there were for sure no other rounds being fired during the time the target was in one piece in the air then I would say dead target.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dead Bird

Seen it few times and no arugments from anyone when called or changed to dead bird. Saw one break about three foot from the ground last fall at Brush Creek Conservation Club on a cold windy day. Wind was at our backs and the target must have been 60 plus yards out before breaking and it seemed like a five second delay on the break.

Lewis

·
Registered
29,273 Posts
That is why, if the shooter next to me has a bird called lost, I wait until it hits the ground before I call for my target. I have seen targets spilt at the last second a couple of times over the course of 40 years of shooting.

·
Registered
883 Posts
It is very possible that a pellet hit the target,cracking it but not with enough force to break it. The centrifugal force that a spining target creates then caused the crack to lenghten & finally the crack was long enough to split the target. Ever see a target hit flat on very low grass & split in 2. Again it was cracked by a pellet & there was just enough force to finish it. Dead bird if still in the air.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Definitely dead bird, scorer should have waited to pronounce miss until target hit the ground.

Eurojoe:
The exception to the rule is a rabbit clay target, where the clay might break while transiting the ground after a miss, and in the case miss is the correct call, because there is no way of telling for sure if the target broke because of some obstacle in the ground. If in doubt there are always appeals and do overs as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.