Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at an ATA event and I was out walking for exercise before the event began. I stopped and watched the ATA rep set the targets on the trap where I would be shooting. He used a radar gun and pole with a hoop to set the speed and height of the targets. A half hour later I walk out to shoot singles at this trap with four guys I never met, and two of them are instructing the trap loader to lower the target level two notches! Which he did!

What would you have done? I finally said, " Are you kidding me?" When the chief instigator asked me if the targets looked all right to me now, I told him that the guy had checked the targets 30 minutes earlier and I figured he knew more than I did.

We shot the lower targets and, just to note, the primary target expert shot a 75! What would you have done? Martinnpicker

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
The trap boy should have no role in this. At the first sign of complaint from one of the prima donnas, call for the target setters to come back and re-check. If they're still within limits, tell the prima donnas to STFU and shoot.

The rest of the squad shouldn't have to shoot sub-standard targets, just because some ahole hasn't mastered the game and wants them set like his home club.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
It's pure horseshit.

Club management sets the targets. At request of a shooter they can and will check and reset targets as necessary. A shooter on the line has no right to alter legal targets (or illegal for that matter).

You should have put up a stink.

HM

·
Registered
62 Posts
One note-the wind can pick up considerably from the time the targets are set in the morning-and the time shooting starts. Silver Dollar is a good example. It will be calm at 8:30am, and lifting the targets into the ozone layer by 10am. Just saying, its not bullshit if the really need adjusting. But I agree with the fact that some primma donnas will hold up everything just to tweak the trap a little.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Even if the wind comes up its still the clubs target setters that reset targets!!!!!!

Not Joe Blow who wants his type of targets!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Score keepers have no business setting traps. They will notify mgmt and mgmt or there appointed peeps will set them or check them. No one has free reign to do as they please on the line. That INCLUDES shoot mgmt shooting there own shoot. If they see a problem they need to get them checked by someone else. If I am shooting (my hosting club) and see a problem and KNOW it to be wrong I will still say......"lets get somebody from the club house to check these" I will NOT do it myself.

SO, if someone said we need to change them I would of said...."lets get the shoot mgmt to check them...they look good to me"

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Sounds like shoot management should instruct it's scorers to go get a trap setter when somebody requests a reset. Any shooter can request a reset but the decision shouldn't be up to the scorer, these poor kids are too easily intimidated.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Set them with a "hoop"??? Never saw trap targets set with a "hoop".

Regardless of what was used to set them....club management or the official target setters should make the adjustments....not score keepers nor anyone on the squad.

If someone requests we take another look at targets....fine. We use a T bar and if they're "off" we'll adjust them. If they're legal....shoot'em or go home.

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Hoops are usually used for skeet targets. A T-bar is best for trap. I wish ever club would go back to using the T-bar. Its use not only gets the targets to the correct height, it also requires the trap to be centered properly which is equally important.

We need to go back to using the speed gun and the T-bar to set targets.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Guys I'm kinda new to the sport. I started shooting registered in 1985. Back then we used a T bar and 50 yard stake. When setting the targets we would throw straight away birds (centered trap) to the 50 yard stake. The target would be adjusted for height using the T bar cross arm as the reference point. This combination T bar and 50 yard stake was typically all you needed to set a fair and legal target. Point is we did not need a radar gun in those days. Not convinced we need them today. Just sayin. I do see the advantages and necessity of a radar gun at clubs that are built on a hill where the 50 yard stake is not feasible. To the topic of the post above, I believe it is the responsibility of the squad leader to get involved on the issue of target resetting. If squad leader will not act then it would fall on the others in the squad to speak up and call for a official to get his opinion and final decision to reset or not. Personally if the targets looked legal to me I would speak up. Just my opinion guys. Jerry

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
T bar -vs- hoop.

We USED to use a T bar but found inconsistancy from one setter to the next. (Human error) ie, what YOU may think is just over the bar may actually be 6" over and next guy splatters the bar.

We have a hoop that has the range specified by the ATA from bottom to top. so ANYWHERE in that hoop is legal. Then we welded in two bars to show the OPTIMUM per book (on calm day) between 9' and 9' 6". You get targets through that slot and they WILL be all set consistantly. This is a better set up IMO.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts