Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That causes me more misses than anything else! UGH!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Usually but not always (nothing in trap is always) people (me) lift their head on that EASY straight away to watch it blow up. Result...high shot. Stay on the gun.
Over the years that has cost me about $20,000! lol
Jim

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Slow down, don’t move so fast, don’t move until you clearly see the target

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Lifting your head typically causes one to shoot UNDER the target.
Wrong. When you raise the comb, you raise the point of impact.
So when you lift your head you shoot over.

You must be stopping the gun when you raise your head to be shooting under the target.

Jason

·
Registered
136 Posts
don't move on the call .the voice Mikes can hard wire ur brain . try dry fire on 25 targets . rember set up call aquire the target make the shot . good luck

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
1) for me, when I miss over the top it is because I do not properly see the target and "snap, there it is" and I jump with a poor-fast move and the gun runs over it.
Try moving your gun position a little but most importantly ---- SEE the target before the gun moves........ often I may call for the target and as my eyes go to the target I will tell myself wait -- or say 1 thousand and 1 --- anything I can do slow myself down for that extra fraction of a second until I have a solid eye-lock on the target.....usually results in a broken target.
2) are you really shooting over the target? How do you know? Are you cracking the targets and seeing pieces going down and presume your are high?
In handicap I was seeing pieces go "down" on my misses and thought was too high......... we have a field that has "lots" of lights" behind the shooter - so I waited until dark and shot targets under the lights. With the 9000 watts on a single pole behind the 27 yard line, my son-in-law can see the shot shine on most shots. With him looking from just behind me, low-and-behold I was shooting low......... raised the comb and began to get smoke and solid hits.

·
Registered
22,821 Posts
With him looking from just behind me, low-and-behold I was shooting low......... raised the comb and began to get smoke and solid hits.
Shooting under lights gives you a low shooting gun because the lights in effect make your beads taller. I’ve cautioned all my league team partners against this illusion for years. Another hazard of night lights is the unshielded shooting glasses reflecting that backlight into your eyes and stopping down your irises.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,757 Posts
Shooting under lights gives you a low shooting gun because the lights in effect make your beads taller. I’ve cautioned all my league team partners against this illusion for years. Another hazard of night lights is the unshielded shooting glasses reflecting that backlight into your eyes and stopping down your irises.
Right there is a valuable piece of advice.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I have shot competitive highpower rifle for many years -- iron sight NM M14.... the old rule is; light down sights down, light up sights up. In reality (with the rifle) the sun makes the bull appear larger and clear and thus you will tend to hold down and when the light goes away the bull appears smaller and thus you will push the front sight up closer. Those differences are worth a couple clicks of elevation with the rifle.
So I am aware of the light effects - the adjustments I made with him looking at the shot has transitioned to day light shoot quite well .

Another point I was trying to make was that looking at target chips will not accurately reveal where the gun is shooting.

·
Registered
22,821 Posts
Another point I was trying to make was that looking at target chips will not accurately reveal where the gun is shooting.
Years and years of effort by Neil Winston to say exactly that, alongside films of targets as they broke and asking for those who “read” breaks to comment and those commenters were consistently wrong, engendered some surprise that people STILL try to read shot position by looking at target pieces.

Reactions: Doc!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts