Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a real problem, in that I move too fast to the bird, and blow right past them before pulling the trigger. In fact I tend to throw the gun at the bird. I have a Caesar Guerini that fits me very well, shoots where I want it to, and crushes birds when I'm on them. Do any of the pundits out there have any exercise's, or techniques I could practice to cure this problem, and get down to slower more controlled movements. Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated,

·
Super Moderator
5,300 Posts
Move your "eye hold" out further from the house.

You're looking for the target too close to the house and shooting the streak.

Move your eye hold out to the point where the target resolves itself to a solid object.

If you do that the target will appear to be moving slower, and you'll move slower.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Think about "momentum" like when rolling down hill, the further you go, the faster you go.....raise your hold point over the house (just slightly at first, always make changes in small increments), you won't have as much distance to pick up speed. Leo always had students shoot a round where they did not call for the target. They mounted their gun and waited, kept them from anticipating the bird on their call, they had to see it then move to it. Some shooters have had success with adding a barrel weight. Be sure you have a very definite PRE-shot routine so that you are really ready when you call and no trying to "catch up" from being behind.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem I have with adding weight, is I have a Kolar as well that weighs almost 2 lbs more than the CG,
and when I throw it to the bird the weight, and momentum is so great, it goes right past the bird, and I shoot
high. I'll try looking higher and more into the distance.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Think about "momentum" like when rolling down hill, the further you go, the faster you go.....raise your hold point over the house (just slightly at first, always make changes in small increments), you won't have as much distance to pick up speed. Leo always had students shoot a round where they did not call for the target. They mounted their gun and waited, kept them from anticipating the bird on their call, they had to see it then move to it. Some shooters have had success with adding a barrel weight. Be sure you have a very definite PRE-shot routine so that you are really ready when you call and no trying to "catch up" from being behind.
Karla, if I may ask, what was Leo's PRE-shot routine?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Rossi, a couple of great practices mount the gun, close your eyes and call for the target, open your eyes, lock on the target visually move to it and shoot it. Another great procedure, to keep from shooting the streak and moving before the target appears, have someone turn off the speaker from time to time, you will find yourself more often than not moving your eyes and gun at NOTHING! practice this to improve your shooting! incinerate em!

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Rossi, years ago I shot an MT6 that seemed light on the front end. I used a small strip of lead tape that worked well. Doesn't hurt the bluing.

BeerKing, wouldn't everyone want to emulate that! :)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Rossi690.........
I, like you, am in the same boat. What I do, and it works for me, is to use what I call the long call.
I call puuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllllll till I shoot the bird. Don't know why, but it does help.

If I give a short "pull", I'll invariably shoot it to quick. But by dragging my call out, it seems to let me go to the bird in a smooth transition.

Try it. It may work for you.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I have a real problem, in that I move too fast to the bird, and blow right past them before pulling the trigger. In fact I tend to throw the gun at the bird. I have a Caesar Guerini that fits me very well, shoots where I want it to, and crushes birds when I'm on them. Do any of the pundits out there have any exercise's, or techniques I could practice to cure this problem, and get down to slower more controlled movements. Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated,[/QU
I have always had the same problem. Especially straight always. Just to fast.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The problem I have with adding weight, is I have a Kolar as well that weighs almost 2 lbs more than the CG,
and when I throw it to the bird the weight, and momentum is so great, it goes right past the bird, and I shoot
high. I'll try looking higher and more into the distance.

Right but you should not be "throwing the gun" at the bird but rather "move" to the bird with your hips. By definition "throwing" is an upper body movement and IMO an improper movement. The upper body holds the gun the lower body moves to the target. That change, and its a big one, will take some time but make you more consistent and slow you down. Less upper body movement will keep you in the gun better also, you will notice that right away...

YMMV

·
Registered
207 Posts
Interesting, I too am having the same problem with excessive speed which resulted in me shooting over the target. I'm going to try some of the recommendations this weekend, thanks!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Their is much to glean from working with the legs and not the shoulder/arms...........

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rossi, a couple of great practices mount the gun, close your eyes and call for the target, open your eyes, lock on the target visually move to it and shoot it. Another great procedure, to keep from shooting the streak and moving before the target appears, have someone turn off the speaker from time to time, you will find yourself more often than not moving your eyes and gun at NOTHING! practice this to improve your shooting! incinerate em!
x2

I dissagree with the momentum theory. I know people that it works for but I also know more people that keep the movement to the target relatively the same and if you hold a higher gun they will push past it that much further. The above technique works with more people IMO. I will just hand pull for guys and randomly not send a target to show them they are jumping which results in shooting over targets.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yea, DONT leave home with out your bird!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Leo's PRE-shot routine: after the shooter before him shoots, 1) makes sure the stock is in the pocket 2) makes sure his cheek has firm contact 3) checks his beads for alignment (he had a cant) 4) focused his eyes in proper place 5) too half a heart beat to "get still" 6) called
He would change is routine as conditions dictated, usually light conditions caused the biggest adjustments, seldom did he change much for wind or wet weather.
He gives greater detail and explanations on his video.
My information on momentum came from Leo, after 45 years of experience and proven results. No one thing works for everyone.

·
Registered
860 Posts
same problem here, so last week I put my left hand further out on the forend and pointed my finger straight out, seemed to really help, will find out more tomorrow at the club.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Rossi---Are you moving your gun with your arms??? If so that's a big NO NO. Its real easy to move your arms very fast, but Its better to use your waist to turn the gun (left & right), and your back to raise the gun barrel. This will naturally slow down your barrel speed, and help with follow though's as well. break em all. Jeff

1 - 20 of 42 Posts