Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed they're some folks that can shoot doubles and they're are folks that can "REALLY" shoot doubles.
I am a "C" double shooter.

I have reasoned in my mind that doubles should not be as hard as I try to make it out!
I am missing something in my paradigm!

For me it is like this...
1. Stand in station...
2. Point gun at place I have spotted that seems to line up where I will shoot the first target. (high hold)
3. Call for target, shoot the target,
4. Spot the second target and move the gun to the target and try to shoot it before It starts to drop.

In singles you hardly miss left and right angles, why in the hell do we do it so often in doubles!

It is so frustrating to say the least with no gratification shooting those bastards ! (sorry got carried away)
thanx mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
I suck on doubles too. But a change I made recently was able to push my scores from 75-80 to above 90. At the beginning, based on the advice from some good doubles shooters in my club, I had a high gun hold point and tried to spot shoot the 1st target, but it didn't work for me. What I am doing now, is to have my usual low hold point - below the far edge of the trap house, and try to hit the 1st target as quick as I can; then keep head down, move to 2nd target and shoot it just like an angled single. By doing this, I actually have more time to the 2nd target, at least it is still ascending when I pull the trigger. This is just for me and it might not work for you, but keep trying different ways you should be able to find what works the best for you.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I flat out panic, even when practicing doubles. No freaking idea why. I rush everything involved in singles and over think everything and get crappy results every time.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I flat out panic, even when practicing doubles. No freaking idea why. I rush everything involved in singles and over think everything and get crappy results every time.
That is what I was kinda thinking when I was writing this!
mike

·
Registered
982 Posts
This is a deep subject.

I struggled with doubles for 12,000+ reg. targets, and add that many more for practice, before the game started to "look" right in my minds-eye.
To be honest, I still fight this doubles game on some days when the planets don't align.

What helped me was getting some good instruction, combined with just simply saying with it.

I'm still not a "good" doubles shooter, but every once in a while I can sneak up on some folks and be in the hunt. Thank you Phil K., Charlie L.

Some things that helped were practice "games" I'd make up, and play inside my head.

Like shooting that first target as fast as possible, then shoot the second target as slow as possible (only a few feet off the ground). Or, shoot the first target normal speed, then take the gun off your shoulder, find that second bird, re-mount the gun and shoot that second target.
Another "trick" is to shoot the first bird, then as you start your move to the second target close your eyes for the count of 1001, open your eyes (or sometimes just your lead eye) and pick up that target. I have quite a few more, but I'm sure most of you are shaking your heads now :).

Look, there are a slug of games a fella can play with his eyes, brain and body position/movement, to help become a better doubles shooter. You will need to find out what works for you.

The main thing is stay in the game, don't give up, and try and enjoy the process of getting better.
Like I said, I'm not a good doubles shooter,,,, yet, but it's the game I now look forward to the most when going to the club.

Like Fuzzy Zoeller used to tell people on golf, Relax and Enjoy this Rudy Game......

Matt Nicol
ATA# 8107877

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've watched many good doubles shooters at Cardinal for years.(Harlan etc.) They all seam to have little,if any vertical movement to the first bird and little vertical movement to the second bird.SGT Jeff Holguin has an excellent video on you tube showing this.

·
Vendor
747 Posts
In a squad of 5 doubles shooters (while reloading) I try to watch the second target of the pair I am going to shoot at least twice. When the shooter right in front of you shoots his pair you need to mark where you are going to hold on that first target.

When the second target is the hard one watching the easy first target 5 times in a row makes no sense to me but that is what most shooters do. Watching the second target at least twice if you can gives you a mental image of your move to it. It prepares you for where you are going to hit it and whether it is high, low or diving in the wind etc. I have never heard of anyone else teaching this but it works for me, at least it did on several 100 straights.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In a squad of 5 shooters I try to watch the second target of the pair at least twice. When the shooter right in front of you shoots his pair you need to mark where you are going to hold on that first target. When the second target is the hard one watching the easy first target 5 times in a row makes no sense to me but that is what most shooters do. Watching the second target twice if you can gives you a mental image of your move to it. It prepares you for where you are going to hit it and whether it is high, low or diving in the wind etc. I have never heard of anyone else teaching that but it works for me.
Now that makes sense!
thanx
mike

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm convinced most doubles shooters have no idea where their doubles gun or O/U barrel (in the case of a combo set) shoots. If you can't break the same scores on one target as your singles set-up with *both* barrels of your O/U, you're wasting time and money blowing holes in the air in doubles.
Thats what i'm thinking....
thanx
mike

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm a lousy doubles shooter but every now and then I'll break into the 90s. When I shoot decent, I am holding absolutely still until that first bird clears my barrel. Once I lock onto, them I move.

My biggest problem in doubles is moving before I actually see the bird. This applies to singles/handicap as well but I feel its less forgiving for doubles. You got to hold still!

·
Premium Member
10,531 Posts
Once, in the Trap and Field magazine, they had an All American survey that dealt with how they approached shooting the first shot in doubles.

I was surprised to find that most of them said that they DID NOT "TRAP" the first target ... that they made some amount of upward movement toward the first target.

There were a small few who claimed they trapped the first target.

I think that most folks try to get tips by watching the best shooters shoot. Most break that first one so "quick, outta the house" that it just appears to be trapped.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Since trapping the first bird allows you to have the second barrel of your O/U sighted in
for the second bird the doubles game becomes a lot easier to manage. Once you get tuned in
on the second bird you will start shooting in the 90s. HMB

·
Registered
282 Posts
The biggest thing that made my averages jump was relaxing. I shot a fair amount of sporting clays this summer and got used to the idea that our little target loads can break a target at 75+ yards no problem. Once you know that there is nothing limiting you from breaking that second target a foot off the ground then you can relax on your second shot, you have plenty of time to nail it. What was happening with me was I was rushing to get the second target which resulted in my eyes locking on to it and shooting too early not letting my swing catch up to the target. Once I started relaxing my average went from the mids 70's to the high 80's.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Although I don't shoot many doubles these days, [always too late in the day] I do enjoy shooting them and there have been times when I have shot it well. Terry Jordan is correct that you need to watch for the direction of the second bird and try and visualize in your mind the target and where you are going to break it.
The first target is a given and as Nora Ross teaches you must try and shoot the blurr on that first target and kill it as soon as you pick it up.
I have also had the pleasure to shoot doubles on the next post to Leo and was amazed at the speed and the smoothness he shot doubles. Speed and smoothness is a given to shoot doubles well as well as lots of practice.
Devonian.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts