Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working with adding weight and correcting the balance -for me-of my Beretta o/u. I think I may have it just about perfect but not sure enough to glue the lead tape in the forend. There seems to be plenty of room and I am using double sided carpet tape to hold the lead strips in place.
My problem is every time I take the forend off the lead tape falls out.

Any suggestions to keep the tape in place short of permanent fixing with glue or epoxy?

Thank you. John

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I'm not sure what 'carpet' tape is, John, but you could try this. Get some 3M VHB tape in the correct width for the lead tape - you can get VHB tape on Amazon in various widths and roll lengths. Remove any remnants of the carpet tape and clean the surface thoroughly with a grease-removing solvent, like Brakleen or even 91% isopropyl alcohol. Clean the surface on the gun where you plan to attach the tape in a similar manner. Attach the VHB tape to the lead and then peel the backing and attach to the gun, pressing it firmly in place - even clamping it for a few hours it that's possible.

VHB attached to clean, smooth surfaces will secure things pretty much permanently, but can be removed if necessary. The key is to clean the surfaces carefully before attaching the tape. Are you attaching it to a finished wood surface in the forend? Metal?

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...0960+8711017+8711740+8745537+3294857497&rt=r3

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
go to your local auto parts store and pick up some 3m trim tape it holds added vent ribs on it will hold your lead strips on.
Right - this is going to be 3M "VHB", which stands for 'very high bond'. The nice thing is that these strips will be narrow - probably no need to trim for width.

Surface prep is 99% of the job.
Exactly: a strong degreasing solvent is the way to go. Maybe rough up the surface slightly with fine sandpaper or Scotchbrite to enhance bond. Clamp for a while if you have the ability to do so.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would suggest that you contact "skeetman" a member on this site.
He makes custom brass weights to your specs that bolt to the barrels and cause no troubles.

CT

·
Registered
32,284 Posts
Double side servo tape sold at hobby stores. It is used to hold servos to the Inside of a remote control aircraft. It is strong, it is tuff and withstand nitro fuel and vibration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts