Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good solvent or method to get plastic wad residue out of a barrel?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
use downrange wads to eliminate most of that problem. or chuck your cleaning rod into your cordless drill, dip the brass brush in some acetone and then quickly run it through the bore. do it outside somewhere until you get the hang of it as it can cause a big, fouling slinging mess. good luck with it

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Wet your bores with solvent. Put your cleaning rod in a drill with a bore brush on it. Takes about 15 seconds per bore.....

M.D.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I disagree. Chris has it right; however, the Shooter's Choice stuff has to be the Shooter's Choice Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner. It works stupendously well; however, it smells. Your wife or SO will most likely forbid you to use it in the house. I do anyway, and say I have no idea what that smell is when she gets home. Neither one of us is fooled.

·
Registered
262 Posts
After cleaning the bore really well, use Slip2000 EWL with a mop through the bore a few times. After doing this, the plastic will come out in one sheet. you won't ever have to go through what all the rest of these guys are telling you to do. Best way to prevent it is too not let it happen in the first place!

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Phil said:<br>
"Gunzilla no smell---works great."

I believe you need to have your sniffer checked. I use Gunzilla often and that stuff not only smells, it flat stinks. It does work great though.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Anyone ever consider the Tornado Brush? Works for me. Three passes. Do it over a white paper towel and see the crap. The brushes come in SS or Kleenbore makes one out of what looks like brass.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I bought a pint of acetone after reading about it dissolving wad build up. Does. Nothing to the plastic in my wads or sabots.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
A lot of us, me included, got fooled with acetone bs! It is in Ed's bore cleaner but does nothing! It is worthless for plastic removal! I still am looking! By the way, a lot of these guys make it sound easy but I will wager I could find plastic in a lot of their "clean" barrels! Especially their choke tubes! Tom Rhoads

1 - 20 of 20 Posts