Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Yes, shoot it, then reload with desired shot size. LOL!! No, just use a SMALL sized standard screwdriver and slightly insert into center of crimp. Tip back to open, do this several times to desired size to remove shot. Refill with equal shot charge, place back into final crimp station and finish as a normal shell.

·
Registered
32,629 Posts
You can take a large pair of pliers and gently squeeze the end of the shell around below the crimp.

Gently I said and rotate the shell a couple of times because you could deform the shot.

The end of the crimp will pooch out enough you can open the crimp with needle nose pliers.

After dumping the shot, use large electrical pliers with a flat jaws to flatten the end of the shell mouth and it will re crimp easily and tight.

So three pair of pliers work fine.

Reactions: SecondChance

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Try a 4" deck screw, thread it into the center of the crimp about a half" and pull. The crimp will open without damaging the crimp folds, dump out the shot and refill same amount of correct size shot and recrimp. FWIW Bill

·
Registered
743 Posts
picked up a pair of locking forceps.. I pry open a bit with small flat screwdriver then lock the forceps on and fold the crimps open enough to get the shot out..

·
Registered
266 Posts
I use a curved surgical clamps. Have to get smaller pointed to get into the crimp. Good tool to get wad out as well.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
All of the above but if it's 12 ga I made a tool similar to a kinetic bullet puller. The shell will fit into a piece of 3/4" iron pipe and the shell rim prevents the round from going into the pipe. Put a cap on the other end to catch the shot and hit it against something hard. with a couple hits the shell opens and the shot drops out into the cap.

·
Registered
32,629 Posts
All of the above but if it's 12 ga I made a tool similar to a kinetic bullet puller. The shell will fit into a piece of 3/4" iron pipe and the shell rim prevents the round from going into the pipe. Put a cap on the other end to catch the shot and hit it against something hard. with a couple hits the shell opens and the shot drops out into the cap.
Can you share a photo of it?

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
I'm not at home at the time. it's pretty much just a 4-5 inch 3/4" iron pipe nipple with a cap screwed on the one end. nothing facncy

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tried the pipe nipple method today. I beat that pipe on concrete/steel till my hand got tired but no shot. :(

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
I use a blackpowder nipple pick thru the center of the crimp. Open slightly. Take small screwdrive open rest of way. Dump shot & pull out wad with needle nose plyers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use the pick on the left to open the crimp a bit and a pair of needlenose to open the shell up the rest of the way and pull the wad if needed. The pick is from a nutcracker set and works well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I use an Ice Pick to get started then open it up with a needle nose plier.

Jason

PS
Hey Bluegrass is that pick from a nut cracking set?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use an Ice Pick to get started then open it up with a needle nose plier.

Jason

PS
Hey Bluegrass is that pick from a nut cracking set?
Yes it is. It came in the box with my loader but it's definitely from a nutcracker set because my grandmother had the same style set when I was growing up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts