how to open crimp | Trap Shooters Forum

how to open crimp

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by tracyhunter, Aug 2, 2020 at 11:22 AM.

1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Active Member

is there a way to open up the crimp sub the shot size then reseal the shell?

2. jansonuhl

jansonuhl Well-Known Member

I use a nail to open the shell, change shot size, then put back into closing station of loader.

entropy thanked this.
  3. SecondChance

SecondChance Well-Known Member

Yes, shoot it, then reload with desired shot size. LOL!! No, just use a SMALL sized standard screwdriver and slightly insert into center of crimp. Tip back to open, do this several times to desired size to remove shot. Refill with equal shot charge, place back into final crimp station and finish as a normal shell.

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

You can take a large pair of pliers and gently squeeze the end of the shell around below the crimp.

Gently I said and rotate the shell a couple of times because you could deform the shot.

The end of the crimp will pooch out enough you can open the crimp with needle nose pliers.

After dumping the shot, use large electrical pliers with a flat jaws to flatten the end of the shell mouth and it will re crimp easily and tight.

So three pair of pliers work fine.

SecondChance thanked this.
  5. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try a 4" deck screw, thread it into the center of the crimp about a half" and pull. The crimp will open without damaging the crimp folds, dump out the shot and refill same amount of correct size shot and recrimp. FWIW Bill

6. lt0026

lt0026 Well-Known Member

Needle nose pliers.

7. saskbooknut

saskbooknut Well-Known Member

I have been using the corkscrew on my Swiss Army knife.

8. BDOG22

BDOG22 Well-Known Member

picked up a pair of locking forceps.. I pry open a bit with small flat screwdriver then lock the forceps on and fold the crimps open enough to get the shot out..

9. 10tenner

10tenner Member

I use a curved surgical clamps. Have to get smaller pointed to get into the crimp. Good tool to get wad out as well.