Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My college age son shot a nice small 7 point WT deer on Sunday and would like to mount the antlers. I've cut the skull plate with the antlers attached. How do I remove the hair attached btwn the antlers? Also should I use salt or Borax to dry the area where the brain was at??? Help???

·
Premium Member
12,310 Posts
Boil it.

Place in pot and cover the coronets with water - add some dish soap to the water. Boil for a while - all the 'junk' should then be easy to scrap off. You can finnish with a pressure washer to get the fine bits off.

Treat with hydrogen peroxide.

Easiest if you get roll cotton, cover the bones and pour the H2O2 on the cotton.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Don't get the hydrogen peroxide on the antlers, just the skull plate. That is only to whiten the skull plate and not always necessary. The boiling advice above is the best way to remove the hide unless you have time to sit and pick at it.

Then cut a piece of old barn wood and make a display board. A couple of holes drilled through the plate and some screws.

Like so, cheap and looks good.
grntitan_2009_2503308.jpg

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Boiling can make the skull plate com apart, Cut skin off with knife as clean as possible, let dry a couple weeks, I use a 4 inch grinder with a wire wheel and buff the dry mimbraine off skull. You can attach horn to a panel and cover with what ever you like. Thanks Ronnie

·
Registered
764 Posts
Don't boil it, that just makes a stinking mess. Take a 5 gal bucket dump in one box of rid-x septic tank treatment, set the skull plate and rack over the bucket with the skull plate down into the bucket. fill with water enough to cover the skull plate and check it every few days, the bacteria will eat everything off the skull plate. Then treat with a cotton ball soaked in peroxide to the desired whiteness. No stink, no mess, very simple!!! It also works for European style mounts, you can do the entire skull in about 2 weeks. A skull plate wont take very long, maybe a few days. Good luck and post a pic when you get done!!

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I always did the manual method using a knife and some time. I'll have to try that Rid-X method. I did boil several skulls and never had them come apart but I'm certain with a tag like " Taxidery", he would certainly know best.

I did this Bobcat by boiling outside in an old pot over a fire. Took a few hours but the hide and meat came right off. Of course digging the brain out through the small holes was another matter. I then soaked it in Hydrogen Peroxide for a spell and presto.

grntitan_2009_2503309.jpg

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have used all the above methods over the years except the RidX and the fire ants. I will pass on the fireants, but may try the RidX. The boiling works well especially if you have an outside heat source. Momma frowns on boiling them in the house. Matt, you did a great job on the skull. Nice trophy. Btw the way if you are just going to cover them with felt or what ever, you can skip the bleaching process. Just clean them with a sharp knife and let them dry. Then come back with the wire wheel on a drill and finish knocking off the remaining debri. Many different ways to skin a cat. Btw, if you do boil them, don't just go off and let them boil forever. Just enough to remove the hide, membrane, meat and so forth. I have seen them come apart at the growth lines due to over boiling. Not to worry if that happens though, super glue will put them back together. Just more work!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have great success with boiling to loosen and peel off the hide than covering the skull plate with coarse salt. The salt gets in all the nooks. Leave it in the salt and periodically scrape the dry stuff off. After about 2 weeks clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
354 Posts
We have a local guy who keeps a colony of Dermisted beatles. Ive not watched but seen the results. Very fast and efficient.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Boil for an hour with a cup of oxy clean in the water. I did a European mount and it was a bitch to get the brains and the small bits of tissue out! the peroxide isn’t the stuff you pour on a cut, I got some at a beauty supply shop, it’s like a cream applied with a brush!
C61CA913-858C-478D-940F-B6AFB3387436.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Here is my method. I put the skull in a mound of salt for a few weeks. Then I peel off any dried tissue. Then I screw on a square of polycarbonate (diamond wise) to the skull perifery. The polycarbonate is then fastened to the wood plaque with decorative screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Boil for an hour with a cup of oxy clean in the water. I did a European mount and it was a bitch to get the brains and the small bits of tissue out! the peroxide isn’t the stuff you pour on a cut, I got some at a beauty supply shop, it’s like a cream applied with a brush! View attachment 1647833
It's nasty, but the best way is with a high pressure nozzle on the end of an air hose from the compressor.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts