Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a stock Broadway that was killing me with cheek slap after 2-3 rounds. I had adjustable comb and butt-plate added and once I raised the comb up with some spacers (about 3/8 or so) and lowered, kicked out the butt-plate, it was perfect for me. No cheek slap and scores went up..got my first 25 and started getting into a decent rhythm with it.

2 months later, I had to send it in to have the action rebuilt (sent it to Art's) and I know they removed the stock and forearm for some repairs, but I didn't think it would have changed P.O.I. as much as it did. But something really changed when I got it back as I checked it on the patterning board. I was shooting left and very high.

I ended up taking out the spacers and it lowered the comb, slightly move it to the right more but my P.O.I but wasn't low enough. I had to raise up the butt-plate and that finally got me really centered on my breaks.

This was all done with some help from a trap coach and I ran my first 50 just after so I was happy for a bit.

But, with the comb lowered and recoil pad now higher, some cheek slap is coming back. I want to raise my comb so I don't have to tilt my head down as much but, it raises my P.O.I. up too much if I put spacers back in like they were.

My question: Is there a way to lower P.O.I. so I can raise the comb up to a comfortable height? What about using some spacers at the top part of my butt-plate to pitch it down or just help with cheek slap? If I use a spacer or something at the top of my recoil pad to pitch or cant the barrel downwards, will I have to raise the comb to get my desired P.O.I?

I only have 5 weeks of league and I think I can tough it out but welcome any helpful advice here.

Thanks,
dk

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Get the gun shooting where it was and change the pitch as you mentioned above. You should not have to raise the comb.

Good luck.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The answer is yes but you need to raise the front bead to allow this to happen. I just made a 1/2 rib for my daughter's gun to do exactly the same thing. I raised the front bead 3/8" and to keep her sight picture the same, I raised the middle bead the same amount. No permanent gun mods, the rib just snaps on.

20151109_225624-1.jpg

·
Registered
917 Posts
Something sounds funny in all of this. I've had my butt stock off my two Brownings several times and nothing changes in any appreciable manner on the POI. Considering your gun was shooting fine originally, you might want to pull the butt stock and check for it binding somewhere - did they get it back on properly after the rework, could it be cross-threaded on the stock bolt or something caught in between the stock and action?

Often the cheek slap comes from the stock pitch. I'd look into that first when it happens. The adjustable comb needs to be parallel to the barrel rib so that recoil comes straight back into your shoulder and the stock pitch, to also make that happen, can be changed with a tapered spacer put under your recoil pad to get to a "zero pitch" against your shoulder.

It sounds like you've moved the comb correctly, based on where you were hitting after the repair (left and high), but for the stock to drastically change when assembled again, something sounds out-of-kilter. Considering a trap bird break distance of 33 yards (1188 inches) and 42 inches from your eye to the front sight, a comb movement of 1/16 inch (in either up or down, or side to side) would amount to (1.77 inch POI change for every 1/16 inch of comb movement). Obviously, you'll have some different distances than this but you might want to look at your POI dimension against a like calculation to see how far you're off and what comb movement is needed.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
You can also make a small rib with a piece of balsa wood. Glue it to the top of the rib
and mount the front sight on it and paint the wooden rib black. HMB

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Did they put your stock on the gun or mixed it up with someone else's from another job? Has your weight changed or added or lost muscle mass, Have you had dental work?

Surfer

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
One last tip...you can stop a lot of cheek slap by mounting your comb with a SLOPE down in the front...you may have to re drill the front comb post opening to get it to do this and stay put..

·
Registered
147 Posts
You can help your situation by changing your recoil pad to a Kickeez modified pad. This has built in pitch. I use them on both of my guns and they really helped to eliminate any check slap. The other thing I did was to drop the adjustable pad to its lowest setting on the stock. This move will also help to drop any recoil to a lower part of your body away from your face. The drop in the pad will do nothing to your POI. In order to lower your POI you have to lower your comb or raise your front rib or bead. If you want to lower your POI and you don’t have an adjustable rib, you could do it by using a high-viz bead on the front of your gun and put some shims under it. I know this works because I have done it on both of my guns also.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ I know a change in the pad shouldn't change P.O.I. but it did. This is what I experienced. It was evident on the patterning board and was repeatable. It presents a different sight pic for me when I change it and maybe that's why.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts