Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok less than a year old Browning 725, replaced 2 lower Fire Pins replaced after 3,300 rounds.
So What primers should I avoid so I dont have to replace lower pin every 1500 rounds.?
Is they a way to identify? What brand shells use hard primers?
Thank You in rbdjr

Reactions: shooterbt99

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Something does not sound right. I have a 50,000 shot Beretta still has the original firing pins.

Browning has been known for being a dependable gun, 1500 sounds like something wrong.

Is it puncturing the primers and getting burned away or is the tip breaking off?

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pitted both pins I have changed, I did write a email to Browning waiting for a reply, They are pitted to the point 4 or 5 FTF in 100 rounds, move the failure to top barrel bang!
Everyone tells me hard primers, I want to avoid so just asking how do you know, thought some people here with a lot of experience could tell me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I suspect that you are piercing primers. Leads to pitting of the firing pins. My Kolar pierced Cheddite and Rio primers so I switched to Winchesters and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
675 Posts
rbdjr,

As above, avoid those primers and also change the firing pins to J&P. They are available from Jim Flynn in the " For Sale - Vendors Only section".
Their firing pins are a lot better than Browning's and last a long time even when using shells with European primers.

CT

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rbdjr,

As above, avoid those primers and also change the firing pins to J&P. They are available from Jim Flynn in the " For Sale - Vendors Only section".
Their firing pins are a lot better than Browning's and last a long time even when using shells with European primers.

CT
I did put a J&P kit in it at 1500 rounds springs and pins, his pin just failed now at 3,000 rounds I contacted him, ask if his pin maybe was not hardened properly,? with no help other than dont use hard primers. Browning pin =$6.50 J&P springs and pin kit $60, every 1500 rounds no thanks

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Ok less than a year old Browning 725, replaced 2 lower Fire Pins replaced after 3,300 rounds.
So What primers should I avoid so I dont have to replace lower pin every 1500 rounds.?
Is they a way to identify? What brand shells use hard primers?
Thank You in rbdjr
As far as the primers are concerned what shells/primers are you using?? You can answer your own question.
Now to the Cheddite primers. I have loaded thousands of Cheddite primers for years and have never had to replace a firing pin. Ljutics, Krieghoffs,Beretta or a Winchester shotgun.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as the primers are concerned what shells/primers are you using?? You can answer your own question.
Now to the Cheddite primers. I have loaded thousands of Cheddite primers for years and have never had to replace a firing pin. Ljutics, Krieghoffs,Beretta or a Winchester shotgun.
These are the Brands I have shot in last year, Winchester Universal, Fiocchi , Remington Nitro, Federal Top Gun, Federal Dove (Walmart white box) Estate Super Sport Comp,

Other than the Fiocchi, & Federal Top Gun, I bought all from local walmart store

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Easily 40,000 rounds thru my Browning. Just clean & lube regularly, never have replaced a firing pin or spring yet. Maybe I am pushing my luck but I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have used just about every primer brand made. Mainly using Noble Sport lately as I got a bunch for $10 a thousand and they work just fine.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Nobel primers were the ones I always had issues with. They were hard as cast iron but the latest batch I used (688) seemed to be much better than the older ones (686). The lower firing pin on the 725 is always the issue.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
rbdjr,

CT
Had same problem with new gun. changed to J&P pins and also changed hammer springs. Hired a gorilla to install hammer springs. twice as strong as the Browning springs. No misfires since. Suspect most of problem was in hammer springs but suggest changing both springs and pins. Gud luk

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
fiocchi had a problem with primers earlier in the year. The primers were hard and would not go off in my Seitz or my 303 Beretta. I sent them back to Fiocchi and they replaced 6 cases of shells. When I asked what was wrong with my gun the response was "It's not your gun" so them must have a problem with some of the priners. I had over 25 bad shells out of about 10 cases of shells.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The last 2 725”s I had would pierce a primer on the bottom barrel once in awhile. I had a few thousands taken off the length never had another problem.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
These are the Brands I have shot in last year, Winchester Universal, Fiocchi , Remington Nitro, Federal Top Gun, Federal Dove (Walmart white box) Estate Super Sport Comp,

Other than the Fiocchi, & Federal Top Gun, I bought all from local walmart store
Are you PIERCING the PRIMERS?? Which will show up as a BLACK SPOT on the Face of the Primer. Since you don't shoot one specific brand, which ones are giving you the most FTF????

1 - 20 of 50 Posts