Trapshooters Forum banner

How to hit a dove

6548 Views 71 Replies 49 Participants Last post by  Big Az Al
Over the years, I have chased the gray bird avidly…

but have found that even with lots of skeet/trap/SC practice (to include shooting in August “bird leagues”)…

that come opening day, I still go through dry spells in which I miss a lot of birds…

As I’m getting older, I find this phenomena gets worse and not better!

so, please give me tips on how to reverse this trend…or in other words…How to hit a dove…?
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Over the years, I have chased the gray bird avidly…

but have found that even with lots of skeet/trap/SC practice (to include shooting in August “bird leagues”)…

that come opening day, I still go through dry spells in which I miss a lot of birds…

As I’m getting older, I find this phenomena gets worse and not better!

so, please give me tips on how to reverse this trend…or in other words…How to hit a dove…?
Go shoot trap from skeet positions 1 and 7, a lot fun and gets you into the hard swings and leads for doves

· Registered
10,448 Posts
For those that hunt doves just enjoy the outdoors and the shooting, matters not if you miss or how many times you miss. I too am humbled by these gray rats a lot more now than I used to be but really enjoy it.
I don’t even eat them but do give them to the other shooters so none that are found are wasted.

· Registered
2,310 Posts
My spot is at the south end ( lowest elevation) of our 5 acre dove field, adjacent to a creek. Tree for shade and at the lowest elevation. We sit our shooters about 100 yards apart, ringing the field. Most birds come from the north end (highest elevation) and either circle left or right around the field toward my spot. 20 ga Ithaca 100, i.c. and mod. 7/8oz 7 1/2 or 8. Rarely need the mod barrel. Best run was seven and I got arrogant and rushed a double. Love those close crossers, like a half distance station four high house. Half a limit and I switch to my black powder 12 ga ml. Fun. My spot of choice cause I own the land.

· Premium Member
4,511 Posts
My spot is at the south end ( lowest elevation) of our 5 acre dove field, adjacent to a creek. Tree for shade and at the lowest elevation. We sit our shooters about 100 yards apart, ringing the field. Most birds come from the north end (highest elevation) and either circle left or right around the field toward my spot. 20 ga Ithaca 100, i.c. and mod. 7/8oz 7 1/2 or 8. Rarely need the mod barrel. Best run was seven and I got arrogant and rushed a double. Love those close crossers, like a half distance station four high house. Half a limit and I switch to my black powder 12 ga ml. Fun. My spot of choice cause I own the land.
Being the land owner has its privileges!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.