Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the problem: The screw that holds the trigger guard on my Perazzi trigger kept coming loose so I put some red loc-tite on the screw and a few drops into the hole. Put the screw back in and let it dry overnight. This morning, I found that some of the loc-tite must have gotten into the inertia block, tree, and spring and it's pretty much locked up. I can move it, but, it's definitely got to be cleaned out. Is there anything available that will dissolve the loc-tite on these parts? I was thinking maybe carb cleaner, brake cleaner, acetone, or something like that. Any suggestions, other than keep the loc-tite from getting on other things that it shouldn't?? Thanks... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Great idea from Vern. You could also contact Loctite's customer service dept at 800-624-7767 as they might have a few suggestions also.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Vern has it right. I've managed to loosen even the red Loc-Tite with heat from my small soldering iron. Usually the red stuff is a bear to get back off.

Matt

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys..... I'll take the inertia block, tree, and spring out tonight and soak all it in acetone and see how that works. Thanks also for the heads up on the loc-tite gel... Didn't know it came that way... Dan

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey..use the blue next time...I use it all the time...it will loosen with out heat..but just a drop...I build a motorcycle ever once in awhile....Red I only use around the engine and tranny....blue sparingly everywhere else..

Dave

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Please come back and let us know if the Acetone worked. I tried it and it didn't work but it had to seep into a very tight space. I called loctite and they told me the only thing that would release the Red is heat above 500 degrees. JRM

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Dan, suggest you have blue around your guns and not red. Red is tough to deal with, but the posts above are right on for removing it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Note to all: Be very care full with acetone. It is extremelly flamable. Keep away from any heat sources. I worked in Mfg. QC. for many years we used the acetone to check paint adhesion. If the paint came off when rubbed with it we had to rebake every thing at a higher temp. One tech smoked blew lab sky high.

·
Registered
16,712 Posts
I never use solvents for loctite. Heat is the only thing, and Blue is adequate in most cases unless you have a high demand situation.

When all else fails, read the instructions. Mashy linky

HM

·
Registered
31 Posts
Paint remover and heat will loosen and remove Loctite. As mentioned before blue Loctite is for screws you might need to remove, while red is considered almost permanent.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Here's another hot tip: don't use red loctite on gun screws you ever want to remove.

Red needs to be heated to break the bond and things like torches and fine guns don't really go together that well IE: be really careful! Acetone will cut the loctite if it hasn't gone off yet, after that it will not disolve the stuff, you have to chip it off. Heat breaks the bond as stated above many times, but that involves a torch, ergo the real problem, are you going to burn a hole in your $8,000 gun?

The smaller the screw the bigger the chance that red loctite will lock the threads so well you'll twist the head of trying to get it out. Then you've got real problems. You should never use red loctite on any screw smaller than about #8.

Blue loctite is essentially Elmers glue with blue die, and it breaks loose fairly easily. And is more than sufficient for most applications.

The real hot tip is clear nail polish.

It locks the threads nicely and works well on scope mounts and other small screws, it will disolve with acetone, and you can just unscrew the screw as the nail polish will break free as soon as the screw is turned even a little. Everything cleans up with Acetone, or nail polish remover which is lacquer thinner with some nice smelling oil thrown in to make your fingers soft.

Best solution to this problem is to not get into it in the first place. People don't realize that Red Loctite is pretty serious stuff, and needs to be used very judiciously.

If in doubt, ask first. It will save you much grief. This is true everywhere.

Randy

·
Registered
311 Posts
NEVER ever use red on anything smaller than 1/4" screws.....if you want something that holds small screws just fine and easy to get out try finger nail polish....(any shade will do)...had to beat the s.a. replys.....one more thing ... don't use the green either..unless you want it pretty much permenant

·
Registered
965 Posts
there are many grades now,,, including stud and berring mount (forever) heat will lossen most,,, there are grades that will alow adjustmet of small screws and still lock,,, and grades for small / fine machine screws,,,,keep red away from guns,,,, and the industrial green i just used for the kiker on my 6 speed harley,,, will never come apart,, without extrodenary measures,,,

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
Acetone will work, IF you can get it into the threads. Problem is that once Loc-Tite is used, most of the threads are locked tightly and the Acetone won't see in.

Heat is the quicker method.

I buy Acetone, Xylol, and Acetone by the 5 gallons cans, I use so much of it.

Whiz

·
Registered
26 Posts
Heat, luck and patience are the only way I know of, to loosen small screws, set in red LocTite
Always....and I repeat....Always use Blue LocTite for your small set screws or screws. Purple is even better. Both are very easy to find. At least they are in Eastern WA. Goggle it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.