Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would help a lot if we knew what you have now??????? Pics would be a BIG plus. Ross Puls

·
Registered
923 Posts
Sometimes it is easier to install steps down to the floor level. I am referring to the area outside of the trap house, usually in front. Ron

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Billet Proof: What kind of hydraulics are used? I have light metal tops hinged at the back of our houses and have wanted to add a lift assist but don't know what to use. It takes somewhere in the neighbor hood of 80# top lift the tops. Then we place a notched 2x4 under them to hold them up for loading. Any ideas very welcome.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
The lift up metal roof picture is at Roseburg Rod and Gun Club in Oregon. We used gas pistons on each side. I'm not sure the exact size, but they mount about half way back on the roof, and further back on the side of the house, so that they are compressed when the roof is closed. The strength of the piston will be determined by the weight needed to lift the roof. Mark

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
We use gas pistons at our club too. You can get them from McMaster Carr Co. We had one of our resident engineers figure out the placement. They can be adjusted for lift weight.

Bob Schultz

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
I to would like more info/pics of ideas.

We have 5 traps with concrete lids and a un-friendly front access. We have considered tearing off the wearing concrete tops and doing some updating.

I like the aluminum lid with lift struts but one member asked "what are we going to do when somebody shoots the thing?" A valid question.

Also are there plans out there for the roller ones? do you just use garage track? Also anybody have links to someone manufacturing trap houses complete with lids?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Regarding shooting the metal...

Whip out the screw gun replace the damaged tin and go on. Providing you order a few extra pieces of metal when you build the top (for maintenance) ...

It will be a glancing blow when shot anyway...maybe not enough to do much any damage.

Light sheet metal (steel) would be a better/cheaper choice though...

Just sayin'...Stan

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
We have concrete roofs on our trap houses as well.

We cut access ports into the front edges (roughly 30" by 24") - these are centered over the entrance stairs and were then covered with a hinged aluminum cover. We did reinforce the roof supports with heavy channel prior to cutting.

These have really worked well for us.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
There are many shoots that someone is in the trap house to keep things going. By constantly filling the machine there is no downtime between rounds to load the trap. They need more protection that a thin piece of sheet metal for the top. I say build them for human occupancy and safety. Properly built a trap house will outlast all of us here.

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
himark,

As soon as I get to the club I'll grab a photo for you...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Our lids are metal, like what you would put on a machine shed, they have been shot and most of the shot glances off or flattens and sticks to the lid. The only place the shot goes thru is where the trim pieces are and that is because it sticks up higher then the roof steel, none of which makes it inside the trap house. You would have to be standing nearly on the house to be able to shoot thru the lid. If a direct shot is taken from the back the shot would have to penetrate a 24ga(?) piece of 1x1 metal tubing and a 2x6 plate on top of the concrete walls. I would stand in the trap house and let you shoot it with a load of 7 1/2s from the 16 yard line, and feel perfectly safe.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Any one figure out how to get in from the shooter side? Behind the arm and the hot zone of the trap itself? Our field is flat and we do not have the slope in some of the photos. Curious to see the pictures of roof mod so the stairs are easier to get to.
Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I haven't seen anything here that I would feel comfortable working with. How about some more ideas. Maybe a trap you can walk into, with room at the side to store a pallet of targets.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
RE: Maybe a trap you can walk into, with room at the side to store

If you have the money and willing to pour concrete anything is possible, but for easy way to load houses, as was this is all about, the pop up roofs are simple and sure makes it a pleasure to load a machine. Seen them all over the northeast, to include Canada, and in Florida.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
I agree I would really like to see more pics and more info on this thread. Please keep them coming guys.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Can you purchase the metal sliding traphouses tops/roofs or do you have to have them built? Any assistance would be appreciated. If you had some built, do you have the plans?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts