Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Shooters,

First of all Merry Christmas. Had a great day with the family and then could not resist four rounds with my new gun...well, it is an old gun, purchased last week. SKB Model 605 Combo Trap set for those keeping track. Shoots well for me, but then having never shot...almost anything shoots well.

I got back and discovered that after several cleanings of my son's gun and the first good cleaning of my new gun earlier in the week that my Bore Snake seems to put more residue in the gun than take it out. The virgin white snake is now a hideous black snake. How do you clean this reptile?

I really do not want to put in in the washer with clothes that we wear, as I expect that the residue mixing with clothes would really bring up some nasty skin ailments. Who knows prolonged contact is likely carcinogenic.

This Bore Snake has those copper bristles embedded in it. I am wondering if the bristles oxidize in any way if I just throw some detergent in a bucket and have at the snake with a good stick? I would hate to introduce rust via the Bore Snake to the barrels of my guns.

So, how do yoy folks clean your trusty Bore Snakes? How often to you find you clean them, etc?

Thanks,

Jim Callan

·
Registered
83 Posts
I take mine and soak it in a frying pan with HOT water and alot of dish soap.Leave it in there for hour or two,and give it a poke once in a while.Rinse well with cold water.(My wife says the soap come out better with cold) Hang it by the wood stove for a day or two.
Barry

·
Registered
408 Posts
The simple way to clean that snake is to put it in the top rack of your dishwasher and run it through a cycle. It will come out very clean and only needs to be air dried. Quick and painless.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Delbert,

DO NOT tell your wife you are putting your bore snake in the dishwasher! Grounds for serious friction...put it in when she's gone. It works great!

Bob

·
Registered
408 Posts
Bob, my wife doesn't mind the snake cleaning as long as there aren't any dishes in the disnwasher at the same time. I don't see the problem with dual cleaning, but I'm willing to compromise on this!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just put a little castrol super clean in the bottom of bucket and a little water and swish around for a minute and hang dry. It will look brand new.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Due to the length of the Tico Rod the only place you can really soak them is in the bath tub. Is there a special way or place you guys clean them?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I clean my snake everytime I take a shower, have to be careful though once I cleaned it a little too much and had an AD. LOL Merry Christmas!!!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I put it in a five gallon pail half full of hot water and some dawn dish soap, soak for a few hours then work it for a few minutes with the ole toilet plunger.

Repeat process with clean water then hang dry.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Here is an idea = read the back of the package. It says. 'The BORESNAKE can be washed easily by hand. Band securly or use wash bag for machine cleaning. Air dry'.Does not get any simpler than that. Now then for the 'sneaky' snake. Don't put it anywhere that is dirty! I believe the instructions for the Tico type of cleaning rods say to just use some warm water and dish soap and afterwards rinse well and air dry. Too much ice outside to go to the garage to check on the instructions on mine. Bill

·
Banned
556 Posts
Keep your bore snake cleaner by putting a cotton cleaning patch at the end of the line. Poke a hole in the patch, thread it down the line to the thick part of the snake and pull it through. Your snake will stay cleaner, longer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bill -- "Here is an idea = read the back of the package."

Love to have read the package...if I had kept it! Terribly difficult to read what you do not have. Kept the clear box but not the bloody cardboard piece...Hence the question in the first place. Although, given the residue issue as outlined in my original post I am not sure I wanted this snake crawling around in the undies. By the sounds of some of the posts neither do others.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I have let one soak in the toilet bowel for a little bit, then removed the top from the tank and put some liquid soap in. Then all I have to do is flush a couple of times.

Another tip. I learned during my single college days that I could put dirty socks in drinking glasses and clean both at the same time in a dishwasher.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have been cleaning mine in the 8lb container that Clays comes in. Fill half way full with hot watter and Dawn dish soap. Put the cap on the jug, give it a shake or two and let sit for a few hours. Pull it out, rinse with cold water and let dry.

IMHO...Jerbear

·
Registered
428 Posts
jcallan: I soak mine in the kitchen sink with alot of dawn dishwashing liquid with the hottest water i can get out of my tap and soak them over night then rinse and hang dry they come out like new. Pat.k.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.