Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I took a Kiner clinic a few weeks ago as my shooting has been going backward for a decade and I developed a world class flinch in the process. I tried going to release trigger with no real improvements and was about to hang it up altogether until attending Phil's clinic.

Phil noticed immediately my legs were dead and my arms were pushing the gun eveywhere except to the target and I was flinching like a spring.

One of the main points Phil made in his class room chalk talk was making the gun one with you and how all the top shooters, Harlen, Leo and others rotate like turrets on a tank because they have a strong grasp on the grip and their gun is pulled in tightly not firmly into their shoulder. When I asked Phil how tight, he gave me more than a strong handshake and then we interlocked bent fingers and he pulled my arm towards his with a (very strong pull) I said, that's a death grip, it may be now but it won't be after you grow accoustomed to mounting your gun and making it one with you.

I've shot twice since his clinic and have found already eveything comes together if the gun is pulled in tightly and you have a very firm grasp on the grip, the move to the target is smoother the targets are more centered and as of now, no flinch. Thinking back when I was young and strong I always had a strong grip on my gun and is was cranked into my shoulder. As I grew older loosing strength in the process I became lazy not working at holding onto my gun and everything suffered. Doing it Phil's way at this moment is nothing but work and tiring, I have to make myself grab hold and pull in, but the payoff is more scored targets.

I have Phil to thank for reminding me the etiquette of holding and pointing a shotgun.

Surfer

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Shouldn't you take it to dinner first and then give it some tender foreplay and caresses before mounting?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Firmly to the shoulder, forearm support it gently and the stock tight but gently. Place head on stock do not let it move from there.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Between this discussion and the recommendation to use K=Y Jelly instead of gun grease on the Perazzi, I am getting a headache! Regards, Ed

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Tight,,I like the above post saying like a tank turret.That's how I do it and how I tell anyone that asks,don't use arms,think like a tank turret,move at waist.

Become one with the gun.

Doug H.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
All jokesters who think they are Bill Cosby except -dead on 4- .....ignore the rest and follow his advice. I will do the same. Martinpicker

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Someone asked Kay Ohey if he thought the guy was holding the forearm too tight. Kay asked him...Is the sap running out of it...Guy says no...Kay says then you are not holding it tight enough.........SMOKIT

·
Registered
379 Posts
Like dead on 4 and Kiner. Lately I'be been doing that and telling myself "Just shoot it!". So far it's worked better for me. Mark

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I hold my rifle tightly, but have a tendency to squeeze my gun.

rm

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Martinpicker,,

Seems you either didn't read the post about Kiners input,or just plain ignored what I said.I supported what he said,and each of my points were covered and mentioned by him within the first sentence.I'm not a jokester,and I reply to posts with honest input.Person asked a question,and I answered it honestly.Implying others are jokesters is rather unfair as if your opinion is the only one that matters.Just sayin,if ya don't know the person,it's not nice to bash them.

Doug H.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I remember when there was a thread about flinching. I had stated just that to get rid of the flinch. Before getting into the concentration mode, and routine of the target, focus on grasping the forend tighter. Now get into the pre-shot routine, and concentrate on the target and follow through. I was told I was wrong, and even proved it by saying Phil Kiner said just the opposite. So which one is the real Phil? I also said to turn at the waist, once the gun is mounted that position should not change. Hmmm.

Update: Sorry it was not Phil, it was Kaye and Harlan.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Works for trap, not so much for other games with lots of bbl. movement. Tight muscles do not respond as well. Why do you think golfers waggle their clubs before swinging?

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
They have to do something, while they are talking to the ball! LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.